Easy Office

A/c Treatment of Livestock

Page no : 2

A learner (Corporate Accounts ) (345 Points)
Replied 18 June 2010

Hi All,

Accepted that AS-10 doesnot deal with live stock..but does that mean livestock is not an asset..??

Non dealing of a particular assets by a particular Standard is not suggestive of character of a item..

As-10 also doesnot deal with some other asset..are not they asset. you mean.???similarly some particular AS's deals categorically with some particular ones..are all other items not qualify a asset

Live stock is an asset for sure..And treatment rightly suggested by Mr. Giridharan in attached link..

Regards,

1 Like

CA. Abhinay Singh (Manager at Godrej & Boyce.)   (40 Points)
Replied 23 June 2010

Livestocks are not Fixed Assets as per AS-10 Accounting for F.A.

CMA.Baskar.V (Cost Accountant) (400 Points)
Replied 23 June 2010

According to Accounting standard, livestock we should not treat as Fixed Asset.

We can do accounting of livestock as deferred revenue expenses (since some livestock have more then one year life) as a alternative way

Sanjive Kumar Singh (CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT) (79 Points)
Replied 30 June 2010

Dear Friends,

Although AS10 mentions of exclusion of livestock from this standard but it does not mean that livestock should not be treated as Fixed Asset. Schedue Vi, part 1 of the Companies Act mentions that Fixed Assets should be distinguished as far as possible between expenditure upon (a) goodwill, (b) land, (c), buildings, (d) leaseholds, (e) railway sidings, (f) plant and machinery, (g) furniture and fittings, (h) development of property, (i) patents, trade marks and designs, (j) livestock, and (k) vehicles, etc.

Hence livestock should be treated as part of fixed asset to be shown in Gross Block summary of a company.

1 Like

shakuntala chhangani (FCA Course co-ordinator WIRC coaching centre)   (2525 Points)
Replied 12 July 2010

For the trader, it will be stock in trade and for others, it will be asset. however, AS 2 or AS 10 will not be applicable on the same as also AS 6.

Further, many had doubt regarding accounting treatment where the item is specifically excluded from an AS. Friends, exclusion does not mean that it will not be accounted for. It simply means that the item is not covered by that particular AS. e.g. Mines. Mines are specifically excluded from AS 6. IT does not mean that these will not depreciate. It only means that AS 6 will not be applicable in that case. It will be depreciated as per depletion method or any other logical method. 

Regards, CA Shakuntala Chhangani

3 Like

(Guest)

Shakuntala madam has made it clear i think......

Thanks mam

Avinash Singh (Article) (69 Points)
Replied 30 March 2014

please tell me that if i capatalize lifestock in fixed asset then how will i enter its detail in schedule mentioned in itr -4

Ashish kumar (Industrial Training In BHEL)   (28 Points)
Replied 07 January 2016

AS-10 is for ACCOUNTING FOR FIXED ASSETS, not for definition of fixed asset. So, as per AS-10 any provision of this AS does not deal with livestock. It doesn't mean that livestock is not considered as fixed assets. 

So, Livestock is fixed asset.

AS-6 doesn't deal with depreciation of Livestock. so, no depreciation should be charged on livestock. However, in case of death of livestock deduct that value from the total value of livestock.
Thats all..

VIVEK HARIYANI (Audit Assistant) (54 Points)
Replied 26 January 2016

Originally posted by : Kalpesh Chauhan,

It should be treated as Fixed cost.

It is because it is mostly used in  Farm Accounting.

subhash (TAX CONSULTANT) (21 Points)
Replied 13 March 2016

REGARDING LIVE STOCK

ACCOUNTING :-

IF 'A' PURCHASED BUFFALOWS FOR HIS MILK BUSINESS , IT IS TO BE CONSIDERED AS FIXED ASSET (LIVE) AND , AND DEPRECIATE THE VALUE @ 20% .

SO THAT IF 'A' SOLD  BUFFALO AFTER 2 YEARS OR DEATH OF BUFFALO , PROFIT & LOSS ACCOUNT NOT AFFECTED HEAVILY.

IS IT CORRECT ?

K.P.Rajashekar (CA Business) (24 Points)
Replied 12 October 2016

Pls click this link - monograph on accounting for livestock

https://books.google.co.in/books?id=neDFWDyUWuQC&pg=PA469&lpg=PA469&dq=monograph+on+accounting+for+livestock&source=bl&ots=7avfPo9z7J&sig=IemsddxBIgeajHZrzbJNLFiH2ig&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9Es0UcmGMIPZrQeLx4HoBA&sqi=2&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=monograph%20on%20accounting%20for%20livestock&f=false

Amarnath Vinayaka Rao (2 Points)
Replied 06 April 2017

I agree with you as well with Mr Satvir Singh that Live stock is an ASSET. Now coming to valuation of the same we follow revaluation method(i.e) CURRENT SET OF LIVE STOCKS  ARE REVALUED at the end of every financial year.

Please send me some clear workings with example under different scenarios.

M Venkat (CA finalist) (456 Points)
Replied 18 January 2021

Indian Accounting Standards 41 – Agriculture (Ind AS 41) has introduced the concept of biological assets where a biological asset is defined to be a living animal or plant, and includes produce growing on bearer plants

raheel paracha (6 Points)
Replied 04 May 2023

what are the journal entries for the sale of a livestock and than retaining the same livestock for breeding purpose

raheel paracha (6 Points)
Replied 04 May 2023

what are the journal entries for the sale of a livestock and than retaining the same livestock for breeding purpose

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: