ICICI

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

A/C Entries

Geetha.K (Accountants Officer) (118 Points)

23 February 2008  
Hi,
I have one doubt , see

A/C no 1 is Current A/c :
A/c no. 2  is OD A/c :  ok

Bank people  taken the interest on loan from 1 to 2 ,after that they reversed the same. But they showed only in current A/c and no entry in OD A/c.

When I joined I noticed it everyone but nobody  cares it. At last I explained it to one retired Bank Manager. After rectification he found , it's bank's mistake. and its loss to bank .i.e around 12 lakhs.

The Co. did the same thing like bank people while passing the entries in Tally .They passed  the receipt entry i.e interst on loan to 1.to Acually we should pass A/C  2 to 1 right ?

Is it wrong ? What entries should I pass ? If I  correct that entry I can't reconcile the bank statement.

If they did the mistake why we should do the  mistake ?

With regards
Geetha

8 Replies

CA. Dashrath Maheshwari (TaXpert) (15065 Points)
Replied 23 February 2008

No, you can't credit interest to CC a/c without debiting it by the bank. but you should make a journal entry of the interest amount for the interest due for payment in that od a/c, so that whenever the bank will debit your a/c by the interest, you will adjust it with the entry already passed by you.

Ashish Ranpara (TAX CONSULTANT) (369 Points)
Replied 23 February 2008

No, you can't credit interest to CC a/c without debiting it by the bank. but you should make a journal entry of the interest amount for the interest due for payment in that od a/c, so that whenever the bank will debit your a/c by the interest, you will adjust it with the entry already passed by you.

S.Srinivasaraghavan (Chief Financial Officer and Co)   (11318 Points)
Replied 24 February 2008

If the current account has a credit balance, there is nothing wrong in the bank debiting that account with interest on OD. You have not explained how the bank lost Rs 12 lakhs. As far as the client is concerned, it is enough if he creates a provision account for interest on OD. As soon as the bank debits him with the interest, he can transfer that amount from the provision account

Replied 24 February 2008

thanks ashish for the Secondment

Replied 25 February 2008

Drear Sir.

Thank you very much. It solved my problem.
Please keep in touch. Because I have many quaries.

Replied 25 February 2008

Dear Srinivas
The problem is , when they reversed the interest on loan amount that is from loan A/c to current a/c ,the amount should reflect on both a/c right ? But they showed only in current A/c not in loan A/c. Then it's a loss to Bank right ?

S.Srinivasaraghavan (Chief Financial Officer and Co)   (11318 Points)
Replied 25 February 2008

Dear Geetha,
Can you please list the entries actually passed by the bank in order to have clarity? Surely they must have done it in double-entry book-keeping principle! Otherwise the books would not have been balanced.

Replied 25 February 2008

Dear Geetha, If they recovered the interest from current account then no need to touch the principal amount of loan account, therefore there is no loss to bank...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register