44ADA or 44AD for App Store app sales (194O TDS) and client software development work?

I am a sole proprietor and was filing under Section 44ADA last year.

This year I have:

  • Client-based software development income (about 25%)
  • App store income (about 75%) where TDS is deducted under Section 194O

My question is:

Should I:

  • Continue using Section 44ADA for the client service income, and
  • Use Section 44AD for the app store income?

Or should I use only one section for the entire income?

Please advise the correct approach.

Replies (3)
Quick Summary
Use both sections: 44ADA for client software services and 44AD for app store income (194O TDS). Report separately with proper business codes to ensure correct presumptive taxation and compliance.

👉 Use 44ADA for client services + 44AD for app store income — both together is correct.

Thank you for your guidance.

I have one follow-up question:

For client software development under 44ADA, I understand 14001 – Software Development is appropriate.

For app store income under 44AD (with 194O TDS), which code should I use:

  • 14004 – Database activities and distribution of electronic content, or
  • 09028 – Retail sale of other products n.e.c.?

Or should I use a single code for both?

Please advise.

For app store sales where the marketplace deducts TDS under 194O, the income is typically treated as business income and can fall under 44AD. Income from client software development projects, where you are providing technical consultancy, generally fits 44ADA as professional income.
Both sections can apply in the same year for genuinely different income streams, and ITR-4 lets you fill 44AD and 44ADA schedules separately. The key rule is that you cannot bundle both types into a single scheme.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
08 October 2026
Account Executive

Elite Taxation

New Delhi

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
SALES TELECALLER

HIRE NOVA

Lucknow

Graduate (Any)

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Trainee/ CMA Trainee

RMA And Associates LLP

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details