Circular No. 04/2021
F. No. IT(A)/1/2020-Tl'L
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Direct Taxes
Dated: 23rd March, 2021
Sub.: Clarifications on provisions of the Direct Tax Vivad se Vishwas Act, 2020 - reg.
With the objective to inter alia reduce pending income tax litigation, generate timely revenue for the Government and benefit taxpayers by providing them peace of mind, certainty and savings on account of time and resources that would otherwise be spent on the long-drawn and vexatious litigation process, the Direct Tax Vivad se Vishwas Act, 2020 (hereinafter referred to as 'Vivad se Vishwas') was enacted on 17th March, 2020.
2. Sections 10 and 11 of Vivad se Vishwas cmpower the Central Goverl1l11ent / Central Board of Direct Taxes to issue directions or orders in pnblic interest or to remove difficulties. In order to facilitate the taxpayers, clarifications under the said sections in form of answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) were issued vide circular no. 9/2020 dated 22nd April, 2020 (covering FAQ 1-55) and circular no. 21/2020 dated 4th December, 2020 (covering FAQ no. 56-89).
3. FAQ no.70 of circular 21/2020 clarified cligibility for search case under Vivad se Vishwas. It was clarified that if the assessment order bas been framed in the case of a taxpayer under section 143(3) / 144 of the Income-(ax Act bascd on thc search executed in some other taxpayer's case, it is to be considered as a 'search case' under Vivad se Vishwas.
4. Several representations have been received seeking further clarity with regard to the classification of a case as a 'search case' for the purposes of Vivad se Vishwas. The matter has been examined. In order to remove any nncertainty in this regard, and in exercise of powers under section 10 and II of Vivad se Vishwas, it is hereby clarified that a 'search case' means an assessment or reassessment made under sections 143(3)/ 144/ 147/ 153A/ 153C/ 158BC of the Income-tax Act in the case ofa person referred to in section 153A or section 153C or section 158BC or section 158BD of the Income-tax Act on the basis of search initiated under section 132, or requisition made under section 132A of the Income-tax Act. The FAQ no. 70 of circular 21/2020 stands modified to his extent.
Under Secretary to the Govt. ofIndia
1. PS to FM/ OSD to FM/ PS to MoS(F)/ OSD to MoS(F)
2. PPS to Secretary (Revenue)
3. Chairman, CBDT & All Members, CBDT
4. All Pr. DGsIT/ Pr. CsIT
5. All Joint Secretaries/ CsIT/ Directors/ Deputy Secretaries/Under Secretaries ofCBDT
6. The C&AG oflndia
7. The JS & Legal Adviser, Ministry of Law & Justice, New Delhi
8. CIT (M&TP), Official Spokesperson of CBDT
9. % Pr. DGIT (Systems) for uploading on official websiteCIT (Database Cell) for uploading on