Wrong gross total income stated during e-filing

I e-filed my IT Return for the financial year 2009-2010 in July 2010. In the original e-form my gross total income was wrongly stated as Rs.729279 and total tax payable Rs.1,29,190. However, my actual gross total income for the said financial year was Rs.1,61,848 (according to Form16 provided by my employer) which is non-taxable. This came to my notice only 2 days back when I received a letter of intimation U/S 143(1) by post from the Income Tax Department asking me to pay a total amount of Rs.1,48,692 as tax.

Please suggest me as to how I can rectify the e-filing -- should I go for revised e-filing or seek rectification under section 154 by filing an application electronically for rectification to CPC (I am not aware of the steps for doing this).

Thanks in advance.

Replies (2)
U should file an application u/s 154 with supporting(form-16 and bank statement if required) to the AO.
Originally posted by : Yogesh Agarwal
U should file an application u/s 154 with supporting(form-16 and bank statement if required) to the AO.



Thanks for the reply. Since I am absolutely not aware of how and what to do, can you please guide me through the process?

Thanks in advance.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details