Worked abroad 2012-13

Hi,

 

I was working abroad during the year 01-04-2012 to 15-03-2013. I paid the income tax over there and there is some government agreement to avoid double taxation.

Now, I am working here in India. I would like to know, whether should I filed the ITR for A.Y.:2013-14? If yes, What should be the income from salary or other sources? Should I mentioned the income earned in abroad?

 

Please suggest, as the last date to file the return is approaching faster.

 

Thanks & Regards,

Ashutosh

Replies (3)

Hi Ashutosh

 

For the AY 13-14, you are NRI for tax purpose as you stayed out of India for more than 181 days, so the salary earned there in not taxable under the Indian Income Tax.  If however you stayed less than 181 days abroad, you can take relief of tax paid abroad under section 90 of the Income tax and check for the DTAA treaty with the country where you were working.  For this calculate the salary earned (Total earned  USD* RBI rate on 31 March 13) and add to salary income and similarly the tax paid (Tax paid in USD * RBI USD Rate) and put this number in the Tax Relief (Sec 90) field

Regards

Ajinkya

Thank you for the response Ajinkya!! I would like to know, should I file the return for AY: 2013-14? thanks and Regards, Ashutosh

Hi Ashutosh, I would suggest you to file the tax return if you have interest on saving bank account, any capital gains even if below the basic exemption limit.  Also the salary earned in India for last 15 days needs to be offered for tax. 

I think this link can be helpful

https://www.firstpost.com/business/what-nris-need-to-know-about-filing-income-tax-returns-993465.html

Cheers

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
26 September 2026
Chartared Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
04 September 2026
CA inter Or ca finalist

A Jaiswal and company

Lucknow

CA Final

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Articles

Saini Pati Shah & Co LLP, Chartered Accountants

Mumbai

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details