Will revised return be processed if it gets filed post original ITR 'date of order' is past ?

Hello Friends,

I have filed ITR 139(1) for AY19-20. Now after few months I realized that it requires a correction so I filed revised return 139(5). both returns are filed in due dates, no delays.

The scene is, the day I filed 139(5) revised ITR, till then I did not receive any processing details of my 1st ITR and it was showing as 'e-verified successfully'. But I received an email a week later mentioning my 1st ITR 139(1) is processed successfully with 'Date of Order' mentioned as some 10 days before the date I filed my revised return.

So the sms/email notification came late for my original ITR and meanwhile I filed my revised ITR. So the question is whether my revised ITR will get processed ?? even though the original ITR 'Date of Order' is earlier than my revised ITR filing date ??

 

Replies (4)
Quick Summary
This discussion explores whether a revised Income Tax Return (ITR) filed under section 139(5) will be processed if its filing date is after the 'date of order' for the original ITR (filed under 139(1)). The consensus suggests that if the revised return is filed within the permissible timeframes (before the assessment date or March 31st of the Assessment Year), it should be processed. A revised return effectively supersedes the original, meaning any subsequent processing should relate to the revised filing.

If revised return is filed within the allowed date, then the original return becomes non-est and it doesn't hold any value. your revised return will be processed in due course of time
Revised return will replace the original return.
so any process takes place, it might be related to revised return .
According to 139(5) if you filed revised before the date of assesement Or 31march of A. Y. then it will be valid. Notice u/s 143(1) is treated as assessment..As you filed revised return before the 143(1) hence it is a valid revised return and it will be Process.

Thanks for replying. I understand that 139(5) will supersede 139(1) BUT if 139(1) is already gets processed then revised one will not be processed right?

Is it not that the 'Date of Order' is a ITR processing date? Communication date can be different.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 04 September 2026
Accounts Executive

Hema Yashwanth & Associates

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details