Why should I study Income Tax Act, 1961 for my CA Final DT Exam in Nov'26?

Why should I do it if it has aleady been replaced with Income Tax Bill, 2025 as on 1st April 2026? I want to give my CA Final exam in the second half of this year. But I heard that Income Tax Bill will replace DT syllabus for exam only from May'26 exams! It means I have to study both Income Tax, 1961 for the exams and Income Tax Bill, 2025 for my job later when I pass the exams.

Replies (2)
Quick Summary
For CA Final Nov/Sep 2026, study the Income-tax Act, 1961 as per ICAI syllabus. The new Income-tax Bill, 2025 will apply only from May 2027 exams, ensuring a transition period for students.

For CA Final Nov 2026 — now effectively the September 2026 cycle / 2026 applicable cycle under ICAI’s revised schedule — you should study as per ICAI’s notified study material and applicability, not based on your assumption that the old law has become irrelevant. ICAI has already clarified that Income-tax Act, 2025 will be applicable from May 2027 CA exams onwards, so till then you must prepare the DT paper as prescribed by ICAI for your attempt.

Thanks for your reply! I understood very clearly.

So, that means if I dont pass DT in Sep'26, I have to study a completely new material for DT from May'27 onwards? It will be even more exhausting. It's okay.

But, if the 2025 bill is already in effect from current FY 26-27, why not change it from the next sep'26 attempt onwards? Do you think it's a way to accomodate for previously registered students as well so that they have time to still give DT as per 1961 act and pass?

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
CA Articles

Kothari Jain Patil & Chartered Accountants

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Articles

Saini Pati Shah & Co LLP, Chartered Accountants

Mumbai

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details