Which ITR to file when we Salary and Business receipts in AIS?

I have been filing ITR-1 in the past as I am a salaried individual. In the last FY, I undertook a project for which I was paid the fee under the category 194J(b). Now my AIS form has two tables for TDS. Salary and Business receipts.

In this case, which ITR should I be filing? Can I add this income as "Income from other sources" in ITR-1 and continue? Or should I be filing any other ITR forms?

Replies (5)
Quick Summary
If your AIS shows both salary and business receipts, you likely cannot file ITR-1. For professional fees or presumptive business income (under Section 44AD/44ADA), ITR-4 is generally required. If your business income exceeds presumptive limits or requires detailed accounting, you may need to file ITR-3. It's crucial to correctly identify the nature of your business income and the relevant TDS section to determine the appropriate ITR form.

File ITR 4 which is as good as ITR 1. & declare the profession income u/s. 44ADA of the act.

Thanks, Mr. Dhirajlal. I tried filing ITR-1 and found that the TDS deducted by the firm that paid me is coming under income from other sources (prefilled). So if I add my income from the same firm as other income, will that be okay? This was a one-time professional fee. 

If its one time, you can continue as suggested. Under TDS column you may have modify the entry as income declared in 'OS'

Thanks, that was super helpful.

When you have both salary income and business receipts showing in AIS, the ITR form depends on the nature of the business income.

If the receipts are professional fees (freelance, consulting, commission) or business under presumptive taxation (Section 44AD or 44ADA), you should file ITR-4 (Sugam). The turnover limit under Section 44ADA for professionals is 75 lakh; under Section 44AD for business it is 3 crore (for businesses with over 95 percent digital transactions).

If the business income requires maintaining proper books (turnover above presumptive limits, or you opted out of the presumptive scheme in an earlier year), you need ITR-3.

ITR-1 is not available once you have any business or profession income, even if the amount is small.

One practical check: if the AIS shows business receipts but they are actually professional fee payments under Section 194J from the same employer, verify whether TDS was under 192 or 194J. That changes both the ITR form and how income is computed.

This [guide on which ITR form applies for AY 2026-27](https://taxgarden.in/blog/which-itr-form-ay-2026-27-key-changes) covers all the combinations including salary with side business income.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details