Ved Jain blames Human Greed

Jeet Biswas (ACMA (in Service)) (5073 Points)

26 January 2009  

Satyam fraud an aberration, not system failure: ICAI chief

26 Jan 2009, 2036 hrs IST, PTI

MUMBAI:The Satyam fraud is an aberration and not a system failure, and accounting, auditing and ethical standards in the country are world-class, Institute of Chartered Accountants of India President Ved Jain said. 

"Our accounting, auditing and ethical standards are world-class...they are well-placed," Jain told reporters on the sidelines of a function here. 

"I have been telling constantly that Satyam is not a system failure...Satyam is an 'aberration'. It is human greed, human desire, which made all this (Satyam fraud) possible," he said. 

According to Jain, it was Satyam's founder B Ramalinga Raju, who was involved in the financial manipulations in the company's accounts. 

"I am not talking about the auditors. I am talking about Satyam founder...Ramalinga Raju, who did all these manipulations. Now, who all are involved with him is a matter of investigation, which has to come out," he said. 

When asked about role of Price Waterhouse (PwC), the statutory auditor of scam-tainted Satyam, Jain said "the information coming is that the financial statements of Satyam were not correct. It will be the investigation which will reveal where things went wrong."
src: ET