Transfer of pan without request

Amar (selfemployed) (106 Points)

09 March 2013  

Hi Sirs,

TRANSFER OF PAN

My husband is a Bank Officer retired in July 2006.

The refund for his AY 2010-11 was received vide Ch dated 22-07-2011 (Full Claimed amount refunded)

The refund for his earlier AY 2009-10 (Revised) was received vide Ch. Dated25-11-2011 (Claimed amount 1902.00 but refund granted 310.00)

Both returns were filed in Kanpur on same day 22-06-2010 under AO – ITO, Kanpur-4(1) and both refund cheques were received from SBI, Mumbai.

Intimation letters for both years were NOT received. After waiting for some time, my husband submitted a written request (on 24-02-2012) for supply of Intimation letters under Sec 143 (1) so that it may be ascertained on what grounds a deduction of Rs.1592/- was done from the claimed refund of 1902.00 in r/o AY 2009-10. But the authorities did not oblige despite several subsequent visits to the Department.

The return for AY 2011-12 was filed on line and the refund of the claimed amount was granted by credit to Bank Account

The return for AY 2012-13 was also filed on line and a refund of 347/- was claimed. But a notice dated 1st March 2013 has instead been now received u/s 245 advising that there was an outstanding demand of 1600/- against him pertaining to AY 2009-10 and his refund was being adjusted. It was further advised to contact the concerned AO in this regard.

When my husband approached the IT Officer, Kanpur-4(1) in this regard to obtain the relative demand notice of Sec 143(1) (a), he was advised by the ITO that his PAN had been transferred to Mumbai ITO WD 22(1)-1 and any information in this regard can be availed from there only. The date of transfer of the PAN to Mumbai is stated to be 28-11-2011.

I have thoroughly searched all the websites of Income Tax Department but could not locate the contact details of ITO WD 22(1)-1. Although, the contact list of Ayakar Bhavan, Mumbai contains this ITO but his Tel No. or e-mail address is not given there. Now-

1. Can any member please help me in this regard as to how to proceed in this matter.
  2. Can anyone let me know the Name, Telephone No. and e-mail address of  MUM – ITO WD 22(1)-1
  3. My husband has all along his service been posted in Kanpur and has never shifted his residence out of Kanpur. The address in the PAN is also of Kanpur and all returns so far filed bear the Kanpur address. How the PAN could have been transferred to Mumbai without PAN holder’s request. What is the remedy?
  4. Can I start the grievance procedure?
  5. Can the recovery of the said outstanding demand be made without serving the demand notice u/s 143(1) (a) and without giving an opportunity of being heard for its rectification u/s 154 ?
  6. Whether there can be a demand and a simultaneous refund for the same Assessment Year 2009-10
  7. Whether service of a notice u/s 245 waives the requirement of sec. 156

Kindly advise