Three Questions-Nice Questions

zankhana Trivedi (Company Secretary) (462 Points)

18 December 2009  

THE THREE QUESTIONS

The thought came to a certain king that he would never fail if he always knew three things. These three things were; What was the Right time for him to begin something, What people he ought to pay attention to; and, above all, What was the most important thing for him to do.

The king therefore sent messengers throughout his kingdom, promising a large sum of money to anyone who would show him how to know the right time  for every  action, how to choose the right people to advise him, and how to judge what was the most important thing for him to do.    

Many wise men came to the king and answered his questions.

They answered like that the king have to  maintain a time-table and to live strictly according to this for  everything  be done its  proper time, and the man whom would be with him are  Priests, Doctors and Soldiers & the most important activity is science & new technologies &  religious worship etc etc.   

As the answers, were so different, the king agreed with none of them are gave no reward. Instead, he decided to ask the advice of a certain Hermit, widely famous for his wisdom.

The Hermit lived in a small hut. The king went alone to the Hermit’s hut by walking as an ordinary man. Before he reached the hermit’s hut the king left his horse with bodyguard. The Hermit was old and weak.

As the king came near, the hermit was digging the ground in front of his hut. He greeted the king and continued digging. He was very tired  and each time he turned a little earth with his spade and he breathed heavily.

The king went up to the hermit and said I have come to you, wise hermit, to ask you to answer the three questions: that is;

v    How can I learn to do the right   thing at the right time?

v    Who are the people I need most?

v    And what affairs are the most important?

The hermit listened to the king, but answered nothing. He just spat on his hands and began digging again. “You are tired”; said the king; let me take the spade and work in your place.”

Thanks, said the hermit, giving the king his spade and then sat down on the ground.

One hour passed then another, the king again said, I came to you, wise man, for an answer to my questions. If you can give me none, tell me so and I will return home”.

Here comes someone running; said the hermit. The king turned round and saw a bearded man running towards them. His hands were pressed against his stomach from which blood was flowing. When he reached the king he fell fainting to the ground. The king and the hermit unfastened the man’s clothing’s and found a large wound in his stomach. The king washed and covered it with his handkerchief, but the blood would not stop flowing. The king again dressed the wound until at last the bleeding stopped. The king stopped his work digging the beds  and served the man the whole day. 

The man began to feel better and asked for something to drink. The king brought fresh water and gave it to him. The man closed his eyes and lay quiet. When the king awake, it was several minutes before he could remember where he was or who was the strange bearded man lying on the bed, looking at him closely with shining eyes.

Forgive me. Said the bearded man in a weal voice, when he saw the king was awake and looking at him.

I do not know you and have nothing to forgive you for, said the king. You do not know me, but I know you. I am an enemy of yours. I swore to revenge myself on you, because you put my brothers to death and seized my property. I knew  you had gone alone to see the hermit, and I made up my mind to kill you on your way home. But the time passed and you did not return. So I left my hiding-place, and I came upon your body-guard, who recognized me and wounded me. I escaped from them, but I should have died if you had not dressed my wounds. I wished to kill you and you have saved my life. Now, if I live, and if you wish it, I will serve you as your most faithful slave. Forgive me.

The king was very glad to have made peace with his enemy so easily, and to have gained him for a friend. He not only forgave him, but said he would send his servants and his own doctor to attend him and he promised to give back to the man his property.

So leaving the wounded man, the king went out of the hut and looked round for the hermit. Before going away he wished once more to beg an answer to his questions. The hermit was on his knees sowing seeds in the beds that had been dug the day before. The king went up to the hermit and said. For the last time, I pray you to answer my questions, wise man.

You have already been answered. Said the hermit, still bending down to the ground and looking up at the king as he stood before him.      

How answered ? What do you mean ? asked the king.

Do you not see ? replied the hermit. If you had not  replied my weakness yesterday and had not dug these beds for me, but had gone on your way, that man would have attacked you and you would have wished you had stayed with me. So the most important time was when were digging the beds. And I was the most important man; and to do me good  was your most important business. Afterwards, when the man ran to us, the most important time was when you were attending to him, for if you had not dressed his wound he would have died without having made peace with you. So he was the most important man, and what you did for him was your most important business.

Then Remember;  one must always have an aim to succeed in life and for that he must know that:

v     There is only one time that is important – that is  NOW. It is the most important time because it is the only time when we have any power.

v     The most necessary man is the MANyou are with at any moment for no man knows whether he will ever meet anyone else,

v     And the most important business is to do that man GOOD, because man was sent into this life for that purpose.