Need advise with HRA claim

Please advise me how I can handle the below situation.

Me and my wife together pay rent of 75k in Mumbai. In past years, I claimed entire 75k HRA benefit and my wife claimed nothing, as my salary allowed me to claim higher HRA.

For FY 2024-25, due to a mis-communication between us, I have claimed 75k with my employer as usual. But my wife also claimed 37.5k (half of 75k) with her employer. Now we want to correct this before filing our returns.

So can I reduce my HRA claim to 37.5k in my FY 2024-25 ITR (old regime), even though my Form 16 shows HRA based on 75k? I am ok to pay the extra tax. But will this cause any issue or chances of IT scrutiny, due to mismatch between Form 16 and my ITR? 

Thanks in advance.

Replies (1)
  1. Yes.
  2. No issue as you are claiming less then the eligible.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
04 September 2026
CA inter Or ca finalist

A Jaiswal and company

Lucknow

CA Final

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA / CA Inter - 2 Groups Cleared

Getmyca Consultant Pvt Ltd

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
CA Articles

Kothari Jain Patil & Chartered Accountants

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Aviv Global Private Limited

Ahmedabad

CA

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Semi-Qualified Assitant

Subrahmanyam & Sivudu CA Firm

Hyderabad

CA Inter

View Details