Easy Office

The most read books for group 1

Page no : 2

Ketan (--) (318 Points)
Replied 07 July 2013

when will latest editions of audit (surbhi bansal) & law (munish bhandari) come in market ?

Sabaresh (Credit Manager ) (199 Points)
Replied 08 July 2013

If you have a CA Book Store nearby , just walk in and then spend around 20-30 minutes there by :

Take up a topic of your interest such as - Bank Audit/CARO etc... and then first read it in Surabhi Bhansal and then read the same topic in V.K.Agarwal.. and then u can get an idea about with which book u feel comfortable (in language , font etc wise)..

then simply go for that..... this is how i select a book..... It worked out for me... but remember , spend atleast 20 min reading two books... 

Hope this helps and sorts out the issues....smiley

And regarding Jayaraman Sir notes, what i can suggest is , unless u go for his class, u wont be comfortable to read his notes.. i have personally attended his class, so i was bit comfortable with that . But perceiving from outsider point of view, Munish Bhandari will be really good.... Just go for it..

And remember , in SEBI Guidelines, Green Shoe Option is bit confusing in any book. So try to get explained by any friend who has grip over it.

espionage (human being...) (769 Points)
Replied 08 July 2013

@ sabaresh bog thx bro :) :)

*PEACE*

Jithin (Learner) (1057 Points)
Replied 09 July 2013

Originally posted by : espionage

@ jithin ya even im thinking of settling on munish bandari sirs' hand book. but still have a doubt about the book for audit..ive heard about kamal sirs' book for audit, how is it any idea?... and get well soon buddy:)

*PEACE*

Hi sorry cudnt reply yesterday(was hving a terrible headache). Anyways u hv got a lot of suggestions..I particularly liked the one by Sabaresh.

Sorrry dont havnt any idea abt Kamal sirs book. And for law as I have already mentioned in the previous post, it is better to buy the Main MB Book if u cant afford both handbook & mainbook. Have given below my suggestions or rather my opinion regd the books dat I use for grp 1..

1)Accounts: I use MP Vijaykumars book. Its a good book & covers topics like consolidation & amalgamation extensively. It doesnt however cover accounting for fin. institutions(a small topic though) & accounting for financial instruments(which is covered in the accs standards book but I'm not very impressed with AS 30-32 given in the MPV AS book).

2)Accounting Standards:I use the accounting stndrds book by MPV. The standards are presented really well in the book. However I'm nt impressed  with AS 30-32. I read only a few pages but wasnt at all comfortable. Maybe if I read it now, I shall feel better.

The only drawback of MPV AS book is that there arent many typical ca final type problems at the end of each standard. There are of course a number of problems given at the end of each standard, but these are mainly the Expert Advisory Committee Opinions on various cases related to the particular stndrd. It is very useful but I also wud like to see a lot more exam type problems. At the end of the book, there is a section under which questions from prev years are given(not classified standard wise) but I guess it doesnt add any value to the book since we can get prev year ques frm the PM. 

3)SFM:I use Pattabhiraman & Paduka. Pattabhiraman is my favourite of all the refernce books that I hv used for ca final. But I dont know if it is the right book for u. It is very very good 4 clearing concepts. But thats the only thing that the book does. As Sabaresh said, it doesnt hv any ca final level problems. U must already be familiar with the concepts since u r doing cfa, so the book maynt be that useful 4 u. Another problem with Pattabhiraman is that it doesnt cover topics like swap,fra,interest rate futures,bond valuation,etc. satisfactorily. Paduka is just a compilation of a large number of problems neatly arranged under relevant topics. Dont expect anything else out of this book. Have read a lot of good things in the forum abt books like JB Gupta & Sridhar but havent seen any of them, so cant comment.

4)Audit:Well, I cant give any recommendation for audit since i'm myself confused. I use Paduka & Surbhi Bansal for audit. I'm really not very satisfied with these books but anyway continuing with them. Paduka is just a replica of the study module in Q&A format. Yeah for some topics like company audit & bank audit, I think Paduka scores better than study module. But overall it isnt worth the money. I am now planning to use different books for different topics. For example,for aud stnds,prof ethics & small topics like energy audit,nbfc,etc , I will use Surbhi Bansal. For company audit,bank audit,etc. I will be using Paduka. The rest I will do frm Study material.

I dont think it is a good idea to rely solely on Surbhi Bansal for audit. Yes, it is a nice,sweet,lean book. The presentation is also good. I think it is really gud for aud stnds & prof ethics. But  covering the whole sylabus frm the book wudnt work. Of course U may pass & may even get exemption by reading from Surbhi Bansal(anything can happen in ca exams!). But neverthless it is a gamble. It is also possible that u may just get pass marks(as ur friends told u) or may even fail. The point is why take such a risk. If u dont hv time I can understand. But thats not the case here. Four months for one group is enough for good solid preparation. 

Replied 10 July 2013

@ Nitin : Nice detailed suggestion man... 

Regarding AS-30,31 & 32 , what i can suggest is : the total weightage is only 5 marks max (and most of the times , they wont even ask )and in any reference book , it has been explained in not less than 100 pages. so better dont break your head with that.... just read any running notes of a student who has attended classes of any faculty...that will save your time.. 

And one thing Nithin, too much of books for each subject is also dangerous ... i mean u will get confused. i have personally seen some friends of mine , who followed too many books for one subject and then regretted for that decision...

Nithin, Its just my opinion. Hope this message was not offending. In case, yes, Am really Sorry.

1 Like

Replied 10 July 2013

And regarding Kamal Garg's Book for Auditing, i have seen it and my suggestion goes this way:

Nope, plz dont follow that.... most of the text was copied from institute module . especially topics like CARO.Professional Ethics were really bad.....The book is really heavy and dense.... 

And regarding padhuka's book for SFM, As Jitin said, its the compilation of past questions covering model wise.... so once u r thorough with the concepts, u can practice a lot from that book..

And am sorry, i have absolutely no idea about Padhuka's Auditing book... heard its heavy...

1 Like

Replied 10 July 2013

@ jithin thx man for the extensive insight.. ive seen surbhi bansals book and realised that  exlpanation for the SA are not upto the mark. IT enforces muggign up and no understanding, however other chapters are fine. I still have to look for vk aggarwals book.
and as far a as 30-32 are considered i think, d.s. ravat wud suffice. :) 

@ sabaresh thx for the info on kamal gargs book :)

*PEACE*

Replied 10 July 2013

@ Sabaresh

Not at all bro..Why shld I feel offended..U talked sense. I also would like to stick to a single book if the book is really good as well as comprehensive-something like Munish Bhandari. Unfortunately I dont have any such book at my disposal. With the books that I use, I am  forced to adopt this sort of strategy(unless I do it frm Surbhi Bansal alone as u hv done..but honestly I dont hv the confidence to do that). I had to buy Surbhi Bansal bcoz paduka didnt have aud stnds. And when I compared paduka with Surbhi Bansal, I realised that professional ethics is covered in lesser no of pages in SB without compromising on the content. So I decided to study prof ethics from SB. Also for small topics which dont carry that much weighatge in the exams, I thought of using SB(bcoz paduka is very bulky & it will be time consuming). Among the remaining topics, I found paduka & study material on equal footing for many topics. Such topics I decided to do from SM. I think it is always better to rely on institute material when the reference book doesnt offer anything extra. And for some of the topics like company audit I found paduka better than SM so I choose Paduka for those. Dont knw whether the multiple book strategy will work out or not but I am sticking to it unless I find some book which is comprehensive enough but not as heavy as paduka or study module.

Yeah u are right. For AS 30-32, it wont be wise reading 100 odd pages for just 5 marks. Class notes would do better. Thnks for the suggestion.  Also I want to know how AS 30-32 is covered in Rawat-whether it is brief & simple.

@ Espionage

Yeah aud stnds in Surbhi Bansal is dry & when we read we hv the tendency to mug it up. But that I thought was the case with all the books which cover aud stnds. I wanted a book which gives some practical illustrations & relate it with the theory part. It would have made it a lot more interesting. But I resigned to the fact that there wasnt going to be any such book. I say Surbhi Bansal is good in the sense that it is brief & contains all the relevant points & presented well in the usual tabular format(also with flowcharts for sme stnds). But if there is a book which explains each stndrd with some practical references & in a simple language, that wud be superb. If u are aware of any such book, pls do let me know. 

Replied 10 July 2013

@ Jitin:

Good one man. What i did for Auditing standards is , i simply followed Kamal Garg's Class Notes which will be hardly 50 pages . But however its risky because he will be covering only 20-25 standards. But i just believed it and went on , time being the constraint. So if any of ur friend has class notes of kamal garg , just have a look on it... it will be really useful , atleast for quick revision. I followed SB book except auditing standards.

What u mentioned was really missing in all these books , i.e. auditing standards with practical examples and charts..... it will be good if there's such a book..

And reg AS-30 to 32 in D.S.Rawat, i read around 25 pages and just stopped it bcoz i felt it was getting complicated as the pages are progressing. so i thought class notes will be much fine and luckily in my attempt (nov 12) , no question was asked from that area smiley

1 Like

Replied 10 July 2013

Oh..... Results on 16th of this month.... 6 days hardly....144 hours away....

Waiting eagerly.. having finished my 1st group in nov 12 , now awaiting for my 2nd group result, which i have jotted down in may 13.....

Last step/result in my Academic Life..... Keeping fingers crossed !!! This result means a lot to me...

Replied 10 July 2013

@ jithin.  i dont think there is any book which covers auditng standards with examples and cases.... but i have yet to check vk aggarwal... for all other chapters i think sb wud suffice.. and for as 30-32 ds rawat is too lenghty.... ill have to get them down form some other source. :)

@ sabaresh.. one of my frnd has kamal gargs class notes. il get them from him. thx for the suggestion. and all the super duper best for the results .. hope u pass wid flying colours :) :)

*PEACE*

2 Like

Replied 11 July 2013

@ Sabaresh & Espionage

Thanks a lot guys for the quick reply. Hmm I dont knw anybody who has attended Kamal Garg class. But it doesnt matter..will stick to Surbhi Bansal for aud stnds. And Sabaresh ur experience with Rawat was just like mine with MPV. Hope there are no questions frm AS30-32 this nov toosmiley 

Once again a big thanks to both of u. 

Replied 11 July 2013

Originally posted by : Sabaresh

Oh..... Results on 16th of this month.... 6 days hardly....144 hours away....

Waiting eagerly.. having finished my 1st group in nov 12 , now awaiting for my 2nd group result, which i have jotted down in may 13.....

Last step/result in my Academic Life..... Keeping fingers crossed !!! This result means a lot to me...

Yeah me too waiting eagerly for the results. My cousin sister has attempted grp 2 this may(had cleared grp 1 earlier).

All the best for the 16th. Hope it is one of the happiest ever days of ur life.   

Replied 11 July 2013

@ Nithin:

Thanks a Lot dude smileysmiley Waiting for the happiest day ever in my Life.... All d best to ur cousin sister too....

Replied 12 July 2013

Thanks brosmiley

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: