Easy Office
LCI Learning

Tds on sale of immovable property (sec 194ia) Simplified

Page no : 4

Sanjay (Service) (81 Points)
Replied 11 July 2014

Originally posted by : Aryan Singhania (Pallav)

TDS on sale of Immovable Property (Sec 194IA) – Detailed Overview

Provisions of TDS on sale of Immovable Property (Sec 194IA) – as stated:-

The provisions of this section states that TDS on sale of Immovable Property should be deducted at source from payment on transfer of immovable properties (other than agricultural land) where the consideration paid or payable is more than Rs 50,00,000/-. Earlier, there was no such deduction in case of immovable properties as it is in the case of salary, interest, rent etc. Any person responsible for paying to a resident transferor any sum by way of consideration for transfer of any immovable property (other than agricultural land), is liable to deduct tax at source under section 194-IA.Where the transaction is less than Rs 50,00,000 /-, the liability to deduct tax at source will not be applicable. 

Rate at which TDS shall be deducted :-

Tax is deductible at the rate of 1% of the consideration payable to a resident transferor.

If a valid PAN is not provided by the seller, the tax rate would go up to 20%.

Obtaining TAN:-

Purchaser is not required to obtain a TAN for deduction. 

Payment and return of TDS :-

Tax shall be deducted at the time of payment or at the time of giving credit to the transferor, whichever is earlier.  If advance payment is being made then TDS would be required to be deducted at the time of advance payment itself. And if installment payment is made, the TDS would be required to be deducted at each such installment.

The tax deducted shall be paid to the credit of Central Government within a period of seven days from the end of the month of deduction.

Online payment u/s 194IA is mandatory and the tax should be deposited on challan-cum-statement on Form No.26QB. Form No 16B (TDS Certificate) will be issued by the deductor within fifteen days from the due date of depositing tax.

Applicability of section :-

Section 194IA is only attracted for the transactions on or after 1st June, 2013. For example:-

Sale agreement is made before 1st June, 2013 but consideration received after 1st June, 2013 – Sec 194IA is not applicable.

Advance consideration of Rs 5000,000 or more is received before 1st June, 2013 but sale agreement made after 1st June, 2013. – Section 194IA is not applicable.

Where property is held by Joint-owners :-

In case of joint owners, the threshold limit of Rs 50,00,000/- is to be determined property-wise and not transferee-wise. The number of buyer or seller would not matter at all. The value of property should be more than Rs 50,00,000/- for applicability of deduction of tax.

For example:- A,B and C  jointly purchased an immovable property. The purchase price for each owner is Rs 20lakhs, Rs 15 lakhs and Rs 35 Lakhs respectively. In this case individual purchase price is less than Rs 50,00,000 but the aggregate value of the transaction is exceeds Rs 50,00,000. Thus section 194-IA would be applicable.

Scope :-

Section 194-IA is applicable to all including relatives, minor, senior citizens etc.

However, if transfer is made without payment of any consideration like in case of gift, then this section will not apply.

Provisions for Non Resident Indian:-

If payment is made to a Non-Resident then section 194-IA will not be   applicable. Rather section 195 will be attracted and TDS is required to be deducted @ 20%+EC&SHEC on the sale consideration. Surcharge @ 10% will be applicable if amount paid exceeds Rs 1 crore. The limit of Rs 50,00,000/- is not applicable in case of payments made to NRI’s.

Non Compliance:-

In case of failure to comply with the provisions, interest and penalty would be imposed to the purchaser.

Interest will be charged @ 1% p.m or part of the month for failure to deduct tax or short deduction of tax from the date the tax was deductible till the date the same is deducted.

Interest will be charged @ 1.5% p.m or part of the month for tax deducted but not paid to the government from the date of deduction till the date of actual payment.

Courtesy: Alok Patnia, ICAI.org, Journals

Aryan Singhania

As a buyer how do I know that seller is NRI, if the seller does not disclose it himself. I may end up not deducting applicable TDS @ 20% for NRI's.

Ankita Agrawal (Student CA Final ) (26 Points)
Replied 22 August 2014

Really knowledgable!! Keep it up!! :)

Sheryl Pereira (Consultant) (23 Points)
Replied 12 December 2014

Originally posted by : Ankita Agrawal
Really knowledgable!! Keep it up!! :)

Good work! Keep it up!

Just wanted to know if agricultural land is converted into non agricultural land after the advance payment but before purchase would TDS be deductible and if yes on the balance payment or on the total purchase consideration.Also, would interest be applicable on the advance payment.

Thanks

Nikhil Kaushik (Fellow CA) (85276 Points)
Replied 13 December 2014

yes TDS should apply to such a transaction to the whole of the delay on deposit of tax.

jayaprakash nair (MANAGER - ACCOUNTS & ADMIN)   (27 Points)
Replied 09 January 2015

thank you very much, very useful information

JP NAIR

ACCOUNTS MANAGER

POWER TECHNICS INDIA PVT LTD

Ritesh khurana (CA student) (175 Points)
Replied 07 February 2015

Plz suggest 

Section 194IA is applicable on purchase of land from Govt or govermental authority ????? 

Replied 03 April 2015

Late Fee and Interest on TDS

Notice of Demand received from,

Deputy Commissioner of Income Tax TDS CPC,

Aaykar Bhawa, Sector-3, Vaishali, Ghaziabad, U.P

The above demand notice is for Late Fee and Interest on TDS (through Form 26QB / bank challan) deposited after due date.

Your kind assistance is requested on,

1. If you are familiar with the above procedure and can help me through from start to finish, please contact me.

2. Service charges as applicable shall be paid accordingly.

3. Please provide / e-tutorial procedure to deposit the above mentioned Late Fee and Interest on TDS online for my information.

4. Interested CA/professionals can contact me  / send me message.

Replied 03 April 2015

Request services of an experienced CA on annual charges basis.

Interested candidates may contact with profile details and service charge.

Rohan Agarwal (student) (21 Points)
Replied 07 May 2015

If payment is made in installments say

20,00,000-/

20,00,000/-

20,00,000/-

then how the provision will work?

Nilesh K (CA, CFE, FAFD) (97 Points)
Replied 07 May 2015

Hi Rohan Since total cost exceeds 50 lacs, 194IA will be applicable. On each payment of installment, one needs to deduct 1% TDS

jitender gajrani (ca - ipcc) (35 Points)
Replied 11 June 2015

Dear sir,

Section 194IA subsection (2) reads " No deduction under subsection (1) shall be made wherethe consideration is less than 50.00 lacs." In your reply for joint owners, you have said that if the property value exceeds 50.00 lacs for joint ownership , TCS has to be deducted. In my opinion where it is related with the property. Joint owners have their own share in a particular property. So there is no applicability in that case too. Please explain the basis, because there can be joint owner and joint seller and section is stucked with individual consideration only.

Replied 11 June 2015

Hi Jitender Your interpretation of law is flawed. If that would have been the intention of the law, it would have been specifically mentioned that each co buyer/ seller share should be exceeding ₹50 lacs. If taking your interpretation to be correct, then TDS can be avoided by adding co buyers as many required to show that individual share is below ₹50lacs. Further 'consideration' is for 'a property'. Co buyers/ sellers have 'share' of 'consideration'

sandeep tyagi (ca) (21 Points)
Replied 11 June 2015

When a immovable property is sold to deffernt person at different date how section 194 ia of income tax is applicable

jitender gajrani (ca - ipcc) (35 Points)
Replied 12 June 2015

dear kabra ji

Let it shouldbe clear that for whom we are doing consultancy. If for department , you are right. But we are advising client and definitely in light of your interpretation the law should be reversed, because every where there are loop holes and no one except you advised in this manner. Sorry to state that your advice is not acceptable by all learned Chartered accountatns of Jaipur. And frankly speaking I will also not usse your site though I am not your subscriber, but as advised by Jitendr, I just tried. My ID is cavijaykumarjain @ yahoo.com. If you want further discussion please mail me directly.

Replied 12 June 2015

Hi Vijay You are free to interpret the law in the way you want. No offence 😊

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: