TDS on gift

If I pay TDS on gift (received on winning contest voucher), can I claim it back while filing return?

 

Thanks

Sunny

Replies (6)

YES, You claim the bebefit of TDS WHILE FILLING RETURN

nO SIR.. I DISAGREE...

THERE IS  SPECIFIC SET OF PROVISIONS FOR WINNING FROM THESE TYPE OF GAMES ( 115BB)

THE MAXIMUM EXEMPTION LIMIT DOES NOT COUNT FOR THIS PART OF THE INCOME

Originally posted by : Amitkk

nO SIR.. I DISAGREE...

THERE IS  SPECIFIC SET OF PROVISIONS FOR WINNING FROM THESE TYPE OF GAMES ( 115BB)

THE MAXIMUM EXEMPTION LIMIT DOES NOT COUNT FOR THIS PART OF THE INCOME

T.D.S. CAN BE CLAIMED.    

Hi friends,

I think point raised by Amitkk is absolutely right since in the question it was asked whether the same can be claim as refund??

Ok let me try make it simple -

1) TDS credit will be allowed.

2) Refund of that TDS can't be claimed since the same is taxable u/s 115BB at a flat rate of 30%(i:e irrespective of assesse's tax bracket) except in a situation where assesee is having CURENT YEAR loss under head House Property/PGBP/Other sources

Agree with Amir bhai....

I too had this same doubt...but Amir only cleared it.....

Refund of TDS cannot be claimed in this situation....

That is I can claim credit maximum to the extent of amount of tax to be paid but not more than that.

 

For eg.1

Tax payable                15000

TDS on gift                    5000

Net tax payable          10000

 

For eg 2

Tax payable                 15000

TDS on gift                   16000

Tax Payable/Refund    NIL

 

Am I Right???

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Assistant

Malhotra Rajesh & Associates

New Delhi

B.Com

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured ARTICLESHIP 06 October 2026
Semi Qualified

AJAY SINGH AND CO LLP

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
06 October 2026
Assistant Manager - Audit and Compliance

Ravi K Jain & Co

Noida

Others

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details