Taxation on NRO account

Hi all,

I have some savings in my Indian savings account accumulated from my monthly salary earnings.

I recently moved abroad and need to convert my savings account to NRO account. But once I do that, all interest on my savings will accrue 30% TDS.

I am not sure why my Indian savings accumulated from already taxed salary should now be taxed at 30% because of NRI status. Is there a legal way to avoid this taxation?

Thanks and Regards

Replies (3)
Quick Summary
An NRI is seeking clarification on the 30% Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) applied to interest earned on their Indian savings account, which they need to convert to an NRO account. They question why savings from already taxed salary income are subject to further taxation. The discussion explores the possibility of claiming TDS refunds, particularly if total Indian income is below the taxable threshold.

Interest credited on the balance  is subject to TDS, which you can claim refund by filing ITR.

Hi sir,

Thanks for replying. The refund for TDS on interest credited would be deductible only up to 10k right?

Also, if I have no other income in India, which means my total income for the FY is less than 2.5L, then can I simply get a refund for the entire TDS deducted on the interest of my savings in the NRO account?

Thanks again for replying!

Kind regards

1. Correct...

2. Definitely.....

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured ARTICLESHIP 06 October 2026
Semi Qualified

AJAY SINGH AND CO LLP

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article assistant

S.K.Bajpai & Co.

Noida

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Assistant

Malhotra Rajesh & Associates

New Delhi

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details