Tax liability when PF gets transferred from one company to another

Hi

I have left my job and now planning to join a new one after a short break. What would happen to my PF from my previous company when the same gets transferred to the new company? Do I have to pay any tax if I join new company after 1 year for eg? I worked in my previous company for 3 years only so I know that if I withdraw the amount, it would become taxable. But I want to know what would happen if I transfer the entire amount after 1 year of my last day of working to a new company?

Thanks

Replies (3)
Quick Summary
This discussion clarifies the tax implications of transferring your Provident Fund (PF) balance from a previous employer to a new one. It confirms that transferring your PF balance is tax-free, even if you join your new employer after a break of a year or more. The 5-year service rule for tax exemption is based on your total cumulative service, not just with the current employer. However, it's important to initiate the transfer promptly and ensure you have a valid UAN and PAN.

No tax on transfer of balance from previous employer to current employer

If you transfer your PF from your previous company to your new company, the entire amount will be tax-free, even if you join your new company after 1 year.

This is because the 5-year service requirement for tax exemption on PF withdrawal is calculated based on your total service with all employers, not just your current employer.

However, there are a few things to keep in mind:

-You must transfer your PF within 3 months of leaving your previous company.

-You must have a valid UAN (Universal Account Number).

-You must have a valid PAN (Permanent Account Number).

If you meet all of these conditions, you can transfer your PF online through the EPFO portal.

Thanks for the clarification.

Can you also suggest what would happen if the PF is not transferred within 3 months of leaving the previous organisation? Would it stop fetching interest or would it impact the online transfer process?

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Trainee/ CMA Trainee

RMA And Associates LLP

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
Account Executive

Elite Taxation

New Delhi

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured ARTICLESHIP 06 October 2026
Semi Qualified

AJAY SINGH AND CO LLP

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
06 October 2026
Assistant Manager - Audit and Compliance

Ravi K Jain & Co

Noida

Others

View Details