Stamp duty on share alottment

CS MOHIT SALUJA (PRACTICING CS Jalandhar 9914558709)   (5155 Points)

04 April 2012  

Dear Friends,

Now a days we come to know that collector of stamps in Delhi and other states are issuing notices to companies for default in payment of stamp duty in share certificate on allotment of shares. Some of you must have come across the issue recently. I have some queries in this respect can any one please clarify.

1. WE PAY STAMP DUTY WHILE INCORPORATING A COMPANY AND ALSO WHILE INCREASING THE AUTHORISED CAPITAL. Then what else is the stamp duty payable on allotment.

2. If yes it is payable what is the rate and how the stamping is done i mean is it a self adhesive stamps or embossed on the share certificate and the systems woks.

3.What is the option for the companies who have violated this norm.
4. Suppose a company sou moto wants to comply with the stamp duty payment for past as well as future cases what should it do. which office in Delhi should be contacted.

5. I understand that in Haryana there is a stamp duty of Rs 10/- irrespective of quantum/amunt of shars capital issued. SO some company are showing the palce of allotment/board meeting in Haryana is it valid.

6. In case any notice has been received what reply should be given at the first instance.

Looking forward to plenty of responses on this matter.

Please also provide the procedure of paying the stamp duty.

Thanks & Regards