Avail 20% discount on updated CA lectures for Dec 21 .Use Code RESULT20 !! Call : 088803-20003

ICICI

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sk_1122 (NA)     16 August 2020

SFT-005 posted by bank in Form 26AS - Please suggest

Dear CAs and Tax Gurus

While filing my ITR for FY 19-20, I saw that RBL bank has reported SFT. I read about SFT on internet and understood to some extent but not sure if I understand it well enough. 

I do have FDs in RBL bank of more than 10 Lakh but new FDs of that much amount were not opened in during FY 19-20. Also the entry from the bank says amount 0.00

I am paying all TDS + additional tax on the FD interest income properly. 

Just wanted to understand:

1) What is the entry about and qualifies under which criteria?

2) Do I need to file some other form or furnish some additional details on account of this SFT reported by bank?

Can you please help me understand this and take necessary action if anything is required to be done from my side apart from filing my income tax return normally like every year?

There are the details:

Part E - Details of SFT Transaction

Sr. No.

Type of
Transaction4

Name of SFT Filer

Transaction Date

Single / Joint Party
Transaction

Number of
Parties

Amount ( Rs. )

Mode

Remarks**

Page of 1      

View 1 - 1 of 1

Also, from an awareness perspective for future I would like to know this:

- My annual income is approx 14-15 lakh mostly from salary + interest on FDs
- I have decent amount of savings in multiple bank accounts and based on best interest offered from time to time, I shuffle my FDs from one bank to another accordingly. So, it might happen that deposits in a particular account is more than my annual income in particular year. Is that something I should be concerned about?
- Specifically, I have approx 25 lakh saving in IDFC first bank savings account as it is offering 7% interest rate. Would this be reported as SFT next year and if so what form I need to fill up and what details I need to furnish. 

As a common user / tax payer, I feel this government is complicating Income tax system rather than simplifying it! :(

11 Replies

Sagar Patel

Sagar Patel (Tax and Business Consultant)     17 August 2020

Sir,
Code SFT- 005 is relating to 'Time deposit/fixed deposit ect.' made by you.

One or more time deposits (other than a time deposit made through renewal of another time deposit) of a person aggregating to ten lakh rupees or more in a financial year than it's reported by bank to IT department.

It's not new, in past also it's reported by bank to IT department,(Not available to taxpayer) but from now a days, it also reflecting in 26AS for benifit of taxpayer to verify the same with their transactions.

You are not required to do any additional things for same, it's for your reference only. As in your case Fixed deposit is made by you, which is continuing in this year also, so it's reflected as Zero value, as there no new FD.

if any transaction is reported, than You just have to insure that, transaction if any reflecting is matched with your transaction, and interest income relating to same(i.e FD) you are required to report in your ITR, as I think you normal reporting every year.

"deposits in a particular account is more than my annual income in particular year" it can be, there is not an issue as you can explain that it's from other FD, or your past saving ect. You are genuinely doing all the things, than there is no issue at all.

Government is not complicating income tax system, rather it's trying to improve the system, simplify the system by use of technology, formalising the system for ease of taxpayers.
4 Like
Raj C Doshi

Raj C Doshi (Practising CA)     17 August 2020

Since there is NIL amount,please ignore it.

1. SFT 005 pertains to receipt if time deposit by a banking company/coop bank/post office . One or more time deposits (other than a time deposit made through renewal of another time deposit) of a person aggregating to ten lakh rupees or more in a financial year of a person.

2. No. It is only to help you as a reminder to check if the transaction and the income there off is considered while filing return.

3. Its ok if your savings are more than income. That will happen but natural for every similar individual

4. If you already have a FD of 25L and you are only going to renew it,then it will not get reported. If you get the proceeds credited first and then you invest again,it would get reported.

Many people ignore/forget important transactions done by them and consequently leads to scrutiny proceedings.

Their efforts are to minimize litigation.
2 Like
sk_1122

sk_1122 (NA)     17 August 2020

Thanks a lot for your replies. So, from a risk aversion perspective of getting into the hassle of providing more details and filing additional forms, it is better to have FDs in auto renewal mode. I never do that. All my FDs work in 'credit to source account' on maturity and then I manually do new FDs based on current rates. 

Raj C Doshi

Raj C Doshi (Practising CA)     17 August 2020

There is no risk. It's better to "credit to source account" on maturity sbi manually done FDs based on current rates. Commercial decision should not get affected because of fear of a petty reporting.
1 Like
Sambit Samanta

Sambit Samanta   08 December 2020

Sir My TRACES file has reported an amount of more than 10 lakhs. I had some maturing deposits. I again made a fixed deposit of the entire amount. 

Do I have to file anything?

Thank You.

Neethi V. Kannanth

Neethi V. Kannanth (.)     18 January 2021

The reporting of SFT transactions in case of time deposits for an amount aggregating to Rs. 10 lakh or more in a financial year shall be reported by a banking company or Co-operative bank to which Banking Regulation applies or
Post-Master General of post office by fling Form 61B. The assessee is required to file returns for the income earned through these deposits i.e interest if it exceeds basic exemption limit.

Veena Pais

Veena Pais   06 July 2021

If FDR is taken in joint name (either/or) then does 26AS part E reflect total amount of FDR in both account holder or should it appear only in 26AS part E of first holder

1 Like
prakash

prakash (lecturer)     10 July 2021

All learned CA and members

my 26 AS  is showing SFT-005 time deposit filer name is SBI amount 12348 Rs .

what i have to do in my ITR filing for this amount, should i have to file any other form or report for this 

plz suggest and oblige

Ajit A

Ajit A   22 July 2021

My 26AS is reported with a negative (- 330000) on SFT-005 Time Deposit Transaction. Is there an action from my end, if so, what is that I need to do.. Pls suggest... Thanks!

Nisha Ranjane

Nisha Ranjane (Article)     27 August 2021

My 26AS is reported with a negative (- 235233) on SFT-005 Time Deposit Transaction. Is there an action from my end, if so, what is that I need to do.. Pls suggest..

Pavan Kumar

Pavan Kumar   06 September 2021

My 26AS is reported with a negative (-494608) on SFT-005 Time Deposit Transaction. Is there an action from my end, if so, what is that I need to do.. Pls suggest..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register