Easy Office

Section 80c urgent

Page no : 2

(Guest)

Dear Friends

Dictionary meaning of academic fees : A fixed sum charged, as by an institution or by law, for a privilege: a license fee; tuition fees.

Therefore what is written on the fees slip does not matter. Just see why they have charged the fees. If it is charged for teaching then deduction is allowed.

Thanks 

kaushal

https://taxbykk.blogspot.com/

GIRIJESH BANSAL (AWAITED) (21 Points)
Replied 26 August 2011

only fees for tution will be qualifies as deduction

R SUBRAMANIAN (NA) (56 Points)
Replied 26 August 2011

Dear Mr.Sharma,

Sec.80C 17, states - i) Payment of tuition fees by an individual assessee at the time of admission or thereafter to any university, college,school within India for the purpose of full time education of any two children of the individual. ii) This benefit is only for the amount of tuition fees and shall not include any payment towards development fees or donation or payment of similar nature and payment made for education to any institution situated outside India.

From the above, it is clear that the term tuition fees need not be considered in the exact sense but with a wider scope thereby attributing other terminologies having similar sense and should include academic fees.  What is not permissible is to be understood by its character ie; development fees, donation or payment of similar nature.  This is my view.

U S Sharma (glidor@gmail.com) (21056 Points)
Replied 27 August 2011

Originally posted by : R SUBRAMANIAN

Dear Mr.Sharma,

Sec.80C 17, states - i) Payment of tuition fees by an individual assessee at the time of admission or thereafter to any university, college,school within India for the purpose of full time education of any two children of the individual. ii) This benefit is only for the amount of tuition fees and shall not include any payment towards development fees or donation or payment of similar nature and payment made for education to any institution situated outside India.

From the above, it is clear that the term tuition fees need not be considered in the exact sense but with a wider scope thereby attributing other terminologies having similar sense and should include academic fees.  What is not permissible is to be understood by its character ie; development fees, donation or payment of similar nature.  This is my view.

without going in depth, the query poster has not clarified after the replies, usually academic fees is consolidated fees charged by annexed coaching centres which is not a full time education, thats what i tried to point out.

CA Hardik Bunha (self) (2121 Points)
Replied 27 August 2011

B.BHUPENDRA & CO.......................

KAYKA  ARTICLE CLEARK................HUD....

Ashvin Bhanderi (ACCOUNTANT) (59 Points)
Replied 27 August 2011

Academic Fees can be claimed as deduction if it is only for education purpose, not for Any facility.. E.g. If Fees paid for earlier admission, then it not qualify for deduction....

santhosh kumar (article student) (84 Points)
Replied 29 August 2011

only tution fees are allowed ....

CA Kumar Mukesh (CA CMA FINAL and Advance Excel Trainer)   (6871 Points)
Replied 29 August 2011

You shuld consult with your client to ensure that what Amt. they are charging for education of child

i.e. bifurcating that exp.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: