Response to president

jose.p (CA in service) (1676 Points)

03 May 2010  

In his second  ever president’s speech , he surprised everyone that he is going to review the transfer policy. Even then he had hinted that the “overall objective of articleship” (we all know that what ICAI means; haathi khane ka daanth ek; dikhane ke anek) wont be compromised and he is sympathetic towards the plight of genuine students being hit the most (just like my CCI friend Rachita (name changed) whose  boss is threatening to terminate her articleship and the person didn’t give her a day of leave for mcom exams). Blah blah blah, the president kept babbled on.

It is an old saying that ,”dubney ko tinkaa ka sahara” and this was that tinkaa which many students were looking for. What had been quite an effort started by my CCI friends like Debojit,poonam, and Co to amass large no of  emails to the institute including its president,VP,BOS officers, etc  requesting them to relax the “draconian and impractical” rules of transfer ban; and believe me that had certainly some feathers of the newly elected council.

But when the speech of april came, my dear friends forgot that even if we put a dog’s tail in a pipe for 12 years, it wouldn’t become straight and even Valmiki took decades of tapasya to become saint from robber; Vishwamitra took centuries of penance to become Brahmarishi. They went over the moon thanking the president as if he had already lifted the transfer restrictions. Lift karna hi toh door; committee bhi nahin banayee hogii. I had told everyone then and there that this is just a ploy to divert student’s attention and to buy time. Similar thing had been done by the tyrant Uttam Agarwal last year in april/may.

In another post,I read about a person coming to know that he had cleared the nov09 exams when he was just 2 days away from may 10 exams. And the difference between marks was huge. When some students replied and asked the student to sue ICAI; then some members said that,”humme aisan maanaa chahiye. Revaluation is for that only.” But what about the student who had taken extra leave to prepare for 2nd attempt. This might lead to extenstion of articleship and might adversely affect his career(don’t tell me, that HE WILL BE ABLE TO LEARN MORE.I HATE THAT ARGUMENT). ICAI MUST COMPENSATE THE STUDENT BY GIVING IN WRITING TO HIS/HER PRINCIPAL NOT TO COUNT THE LEAVE FOR 2ND ATTEMPT AS LEAVE. This wont happen for sure. But ICai being a govt org; they must show some accountability and transparency towards its students also. IT’s like Satyam’s owners puffing their chests like a proud rooster after saying,”humne 6000 crore rs ke gaman kiyaa hai”; or more suitably a doctor operating on the wrong eye and saying later that we had a wrong diagnosis; let’s operate the other eye.Pay extra 50000bucks for the operation.

Uttam Agarwal, hated  by many students for his oppresive and demeaning nature against the fraternity, too had made lots of promises and parleys for students; esp like reduction of articleship of pcc stream students to 3 years; then it was said that the approval of icai was done; and it needs only CG approval. The papers have gone to the CG for approval or to be served as wrappers of samosa in some council meeting. Transfer ban karne time itna sab nautanki toh nahi huaa; even then there was General Elections gonna happen.

Some people might argue that everything takes time, esp at ICAI. Some may say, Chopra is old so he is forgetting things. But, being the president of institute who supposedly is guardian of truth in corporate world(in paper and syllabus); he must at least tell us truthfully and without double meaning about the status of such measures. Har time kuch na kuch bolta hain, jaise abhi case studies, then it vamooses from his statements. Sir, may be u should eat pesta,badaam, almonds with milk before sleep; yaaddas strong ho jaegii.

This time no mention of articleship issues in either newsletter or icai website. He should first improve  the ground base of the future CAs; doing all these tie ups just to pose for photos with membership of foreign body should come second.

JAi Hind.

Jai CA students ektaa.

(Posted after some slight changes as per some people's wish).

I thank revati and Sherin sis for posting their views on their previous thread which got "lost" in the server.