Refund from irctc

Hi,

I am maintaining my personal account. In current year I have lots of travel tickets done through IRCTC and in Tally I have put it under "Travelling Expenses" under INDIRECT Expenses head in Tally. For some reason I had to cancel the ticket and for that I have created "Refund from IRCTC" and put it under INDIRECT Income head under tally. I would like to know whether the above treatment is correct or not.

If not then please give an example. As I am new in accountancy I wont be able to undestand without example.

Thanks and regards

 

Replies (10)

Route both booking and cancellation through same head of account i.e. "Travelling Expenses".

At the time of booking Exps,

Travelling expenses Dr.   XXX

   To Bank                      XXX

(narration)

At the time of amount recvd on Cancellation

Bank A/c Dr.                     XXX

   To Travelling Expenses. XXX

( give proper reason in narration )

Amount received on cancellation is not a income. So pass above journal entry.

Thanks

Hi Thanks for the reply. In light of above entries, should I treat the following entries in the same way:

1. Refund from Income Tax

2. Received LPG Subsidy (i take refill cylinder and pay by cash)

3. Refund from Thyrocare as booking cancelled Thanks 

Thanks

  1. If payments made are accounted as expense (subsidy & thyrocare refund), then credit the refund/subsidy to the respective expense account (as said by Ashish), so that the closing balance is the net amount.
  2. In case of refund of IT, where it includes interest also, such interest should be recognized separately as interest income under separate head. Tax refund can be credited to the same account which was debited earlier (at the time of payment)

Hello Poornima,

Thanks for the reply.

I found a post regarding LPG Subsdy which I am pasting below:

/forum/lpg-subsisdy-320853.asp

I hope that will help other ppl like me.

Thanks once again for the reply.

travelling refund should be correspondingly credited in expense head only..it wil nullify the booking & cancelltion only cancelltion chgs wil remain as expenses.
it refund should be basically shown under other current asset ie where you have shown income tax provison & advance tax..and interest amount should be routed to income thru it..

Thanks for the help Mayur.

hello

you can get your money back at refund option on irctc website by create irctc account on irctc sign up page and apply for refund.

Refund have its own limitations and conditions, before booking you should see this condition and than book tickets. it may take some time to refund your money you can read this condition after irctc sign in.

Hi,If you cancelled your ticket, normally it takes 24–48 hrs to refund your amount but in worst condition it can take 5 to 8 working days also.You can apply for cancel ticket from IRCTC website after doing irctc sign up if not done.

How to adjust the GST entries for such travelling expenses entries?

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
Accounts and Tax Associate

POOJA R TELI & CO

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
07 October 2026
Senior Account Manager

Amplio Invest

Mumbai

M.Com

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Trainee/ CMA Trainee

RMA And Associates LLP

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details