15H submitted in April. Now in March,while calculating tax liability it comes to light that I've to pay tax, even after exhausting all deductions, like Std. deduction, 80C, 80D,80GG etc. If I donate u/s 80G, then I can avoid tax, after utilizing provisions of Sec 87A., bringing down the Net Taxable income below 5L. Your reasoned advice as to whether I can just pay tax, if so, is't okay, even though I had submitted 15H in the beginning of F.Y. Or I have to only avoid tax by Using sec 80G. When should I pay tax, either at the time of filing tax return or before 31st March. Please guide me
Replies (14)
Quick Summary
A 70-year-old senior citizen submitted a 15H declaration stating no tax liability, but now finds they owe tax after deductions. They are seeking advice on whether they can pay the tax liability now, even after submitting 15H, or if they must avoid tax through donations. The discussion clarifies that senior citizens without business income can pay their entire tax liability when filing their Income Tax Return (ITR), with no interest applicable if paid by the due date. Submitting 15H does not prevent paying tax later if liability arises.
As I am Senior Citizen, I need not pay Advance tax, right? Further I haven't paid any tax in the current FY so far. My question is can I pay the entire tax while filing return or on or before 31st March. Please advise.
If you are not having nay business income then you can pay the entire tax liability at the time of filing the Income-tax Return because there won't be an interest applicable upon you u/s 234B/C because you are a senior citizen above 60 years of age.
Whatever name one wants to call it, the end result is the same. The timing of the payment matters, not the name.
And regards timing, seniors don't need to pay sitharaman a single paisa before the standard tax return due date, so long as they don't earn business / professional income.
Thank you very much for all of the informations. But still, one point for clarification: Even though given 15H in April'21(with Declaration that my tax liability will be NIL for the current year), is't okay to pay tax now? Will it not be contradictory to the Declaration given earlier?