Options for claiming section 80c deductions benefit for sr citizens: ppf or fds?

Debashish (Consultant) (66 Points)

08 January 2019  

Hi,

My mother is 72 years old and in the last couple of years her annual income [from various fixed deposits] is exceeding the Rs 3 lakh-limit set for senior citizens. So to bring down her tax liability, I asked her to invest in PPF under Section 80C. However, when she went to a nationalized bank to open a PPF account, the manager advised her that a better option was to invest in one of their FDs under the government's Sr. Citizen's Savings Scheme, which according to them falls under Section 80C as well.

Now, from my limited understanding of PPF, the total deposits she makes in PPF each year would qualify for deductions under Section 80C [capped at 1.5 lakhs p.a.] for those respective years. However, in the Sr Citizen's FD, the Section 80C deduction benefit is available ONLY in the financial year in which the deposit is made or in ALL subsequent years of the FD as well? Could anyone clarify this? 

Also, apart from the above, what other tax-saving options does she have under Section 80C?

Thanks!