NRI OR INDIAN

Hello Everyone,

Am I Indian or NRI? (in regards to accounting and income tax)

I was born and stayed in India for over 37 years.  I am a  Indian Citizen.

On 10 Jan 2020 , I came to USA, and I am presently residing & working in USA. 

Before coming to USA, I only stayed in India all my life. 

However in 2007 & 2015 I went for a foreign holiday for 5-6 days only to south east asia.  

For all these year, I have simple savings account and current account in India, and used to file my income tax returns as resident indian and firm accounts.

Am I NRI or Indian now ?
What should I do now ?


Please advise and guide if possible ?

Regards

Replies (1)
Till FY 2019-20 you are a resident Indian. For FY2020-21 you are an NRI considering you are not in India in between 01-Apr-2020 to till date.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accounts Executive

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

MBA

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details