Is a NRI is eligible for deduction under section 80C and 80 TTA
Krishna Chaudhary

Krishna Chaudhary (Accountant)     09 January 2021

Krishna Chaudhary
Accountant 
 597 likes  4468 points

View Profile | My Other Post
Deductions Under Section 80C

Most of the deductions under Section 80 are also available to NRIs. For FY 2019-20, a maximum deduction of up to Rs 1.5 lakhs is allowed under Section 80C from gross total income for an individual.

b. Of the Deductions Under Section 80C, those allowed to NRIs are:

i. Life insurance premium payment: The policy must be in the NRI’s name or in the name of their spouse or any child’s name (child may be dependent/independent, minor/major, or married/unmarried). The premium must be less than 10% of sum assured.

ii. Children’s tuition fee payment: Tuition fees paid to any school, college, university or other educational institution situated within India for the purpose of full-time education of any two children (including payments for play school, pre-nursery and nursery).

iii. Principal repayments on loan for the purchase of a house property: Deduction is allowed for repayment of loan taken for buying or constructing residential house property. Also allowed for stamp duty, registration fees and other expenses for purpose of transfer of such property to the NRI.

iv. Unit-linked insurance plan (ULIPS): ULIPS is sold with life insurance cover for deduction under Section 80C. Includes contribution to unit-linked insurance plan of LIC mutual fund e.g. Dhanraksha 1989 and contribution to other units -linked insurance plan of UTI.

v. Investments in ELSS: ELSS has been the most preferred option in recent years as it allows you to claim a deduction under Section 80C upto Rs 1.5 lakhs, it offers the EEE (Exempt-Exempt-Exempt) benefit to taxpayers and simultaneously offers an excellent opportunity to earn as these funds invest primarily in the equity market in a diversified manner.
2 Like
ayusmita

ayusmita (Tax consultant)     09 January 2021

ayusmita
Tax consultant 
 375 likes  5595 points

Eligible for both expect
ppf
nsc
senior citizen Deduction
post office 5 yr scheme
if you say what exctalty in 80c I can tell you you can take or not
Singh Kamboj

Singh Kamboj   10 January 2021

Singh Kamboj

13 likes  318 points

Ok sir thanks a lot
sabyasachi mukherjee

sabyasachi mukherjee   11 January 2021

sabyasachi mukherjee

205 likes  5276 points

A NRI IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR DEDUCTION OR EXEMPTION UNDER INDIAN LAWS.
Kapadia Pravin

Kapadia Pravin   11 January 2021

Kapadia Pravin

1094 likes  17184 points

Of course, NRI is eligible for specific items under 80C and also eligible under 80TTA.
Krishna Chaudhary

Krishna Chaudhary (Accountant)     16 January 2021

Krishna Chaudhary
Accountant 
 597 likes  4468 points

Yes NRI is eligible for deduction under section 80c

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register