Notice 143(1). i forgot to mentioned self assessment tax in itr.

Cloud Engineer

Hello All,

While filling ITR1 (original) for AY 2018-19, I forgot to mention the paid tax BSR code/Challan number under self-assessment tab of ITR form. Last week I got a notice from IT department 143(1) asking me to pay outstanding tax. That too within 30 days. As I mentioned earlier - I have already paid this tax in July 18, but forgot to mention details in ITR form. I Do have challan PDF with me for previous payment made.

What should I do now from below? My ITR is appearing as processed by department.

Options -

A) File revised return

B) Sibmit rectification request - Using request type as - Return Data Correction (XML)

C) Respond to outstanding Tax demand - 
- Choose Disagree with demand and then submit the existing copy of paid challan (using reasons as demand paid)

Please confirm.

KVO Merau Kutchh

A) File revised return 
& disagree demand

Total likes : 1 times

Cloud Engineer

Originally posted by : Dhirajlal Rambhia
A) File revised return 
& disagree demand

Thanks. So its A & C both, Right?

Is there any sequence in which I need to do those? 

Note - Today morning, I've already opted for C - disagree demand (by attaching copy of old paid challan.) Hence asking. 

If not -  I will just go ahead and file revised return

KVO Merau Kutchh

Revision of ITR is must, without which your claim for the paid tax cannot sustain.

Cloud Engineer

Originally posted by : Dhirajlal Rambhia
Revision of ITR is must, without which your claim for the paid tax cannot sustain.

Thanks a lot Dhirajlalji. 

Just out of curiosity - When is should one go for (B) - submit rectification request? What are the scenarios under which this option is chosen.

Whenever I am choosing eFile>>Rectification, I am seeing my 143 notice intimation number & my earlier ITR ack no in the form - Something like below 

ca.umesh11@gmail.com

You should have given bsr, amount, date, challan number in itr form otherwise you you will not get tax credit of tax paid, now you should file revised return.

CA umesh kumar- 9717597230

Cloud Engineer

Hello All,

I got an official reply from CPC Commissioner on the grievance I raised. I was told to go for rectification. It's a bit surprising that members here are recommending for revised return. I meant no offense to anyone, but for income tax matters always cross verify things a few times. Looks to me like most seasoned experts in this matter may not be aware of all the proceeding. Just my two cents.

Here is the reply from CPC -

Resolution: Dear Taxpayer, payment details of Self Assessment Tax was not entered in Schedule IT or TAX PAYMENT while filing the return. Request you to fill the same, PLEASE RE-ENTER DETAILS OF ALL CREDIT IN SCHEDULE. IT OR TAX PAYMENTS, INCLUDING ENTRIES MENTIONED IN THE ITR FILED EARLIER, SO AS TO GET FULL CREDIT and file online rectification by logging on to http://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. For further information, please Go to "Help tab"-> " Filing of Income Tax Returns and Forms"->"Rectification of ITR". If you are still not able to file online rectification, kindly contact E-filing Help desk on 18001030025 or 8046122000. 

ca.umesh11@gmail.com

Both options can be used.

Tax Consultant

If had choose disagree with Demand ( Reason :- Already Paid ) and you had entered Challan Details than you need not to do any thing.

Cloud Engineer

Hi All,

Thanks for the answers. If I decide to go for rectification (e-file > Rectification) - what option should I choose in the Request Type drop-down menu?

1. Tax credit mismatch correction only

2. Return data Correction (XML) 

3. Only reprocess the return

Please confirm.

I am thinking of - Tax credit mismatch correction only. Then check the checkbox of  'IT details'. After this enter details of the BSR code and challan no and hit submit.

LEAVE A REPLY

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

CCI MENU