Easy Office
LCI Learning

MIND BENDING ENTRY

Page no : 2

CA. Mithilesh kr. Singh (PROFESSIONAL ) (45 Points)
Replied 23 April 2010

if you want to pass only one entry then

exp a/c dr 200

To Profit & loss adjustment a/c

Amit Aggarwal (Analytics Manager) (23 Points)
Replied 23 April 2010

The Rectification entry would be(Assuming Prepaid exp. of Rs. 6000)

Prepaid Exp. A/c       Dr.      12000

To      Prior Period Income          12000

Rationale Behind this:

1) Prepaid exp. a/c was credited with Rs. 12000(6000 last year & 6000 current year), which should be closed by debiting the amount with Rs. 12000

2) Last year by virtue of entry, rent a/c should have got the credit of Rs. 6000 but debiting the amount effected in Rs. 12000 extra charged, which were reversed in current year as Prior Period income

3) In the current year, rent a/c should have been debited with Rs. 6000, which was automatically done with the accountant passing the incorrect entry

4) Prior period income should be transferred to P&L and appropriate disclosure should be given in financial statements, if material

Amit Aggarwal (Analytics Manager) (23 Points)
Replied 23 April 2010

The Rectification entry would be(Assuming Prepaid exp. of Rs. 6000)

Prepaid Exp. A/c       Dr.      12000

To      Prior Period Income          12000

Rationale Behind this:

1) Prepaid exp. a/c was credited with Rs. 12000(6000 last year & 6000 current year), which should be closed by debiting the amount with Rs. 12000

2) Last year by virtue of entry, rent a/c should have got the credit of Rs. 6000 but debiting the amount effected in Rs. 12000 extra charged, which were reversed in current year as Prior Period income

3) In the current year, rent a/c should have been debited with Rs. 6000, which was automatically done with the accountant passing the incorrect entry

4) Prior period income should be transferred to P&L and appropriate disclosure should be given in financial statements, if material

Nicky (Chartered Accountant) (245 Points)
Replied 23 April 2010

Brother in as similar fashion I Have explained for Rs. 100

Amir (Learner) (4016 Points)
Replied 23 April 2010

Originally posted by : smarty_2010
EXP A/C DR...
TO P&L APP LIAB A/C...

AMOUNT WILL BE DOUBLE THE ACTUAL AMOUNT AS IT IS A RECTIFICATION / REVERSAL JV PASSED FOR PY..

(BEING PROFIT UNDERSTATED IN PY)
(THIS IS THE ONLY ANSWER TO YOUR PROB)

I would like to go with Smarty's reply...............

Wrong entry as on 31.03.2009

Exp A/c…..Dr            100

To Prepaid Exp. A/c                   100

Correct Entry

Prepaid Exp. A/c……..Dr               100

To Exp. A/c                                     100

Actual Exp. was in excess of Rs. 200 as a result of error.

This error has to be rectified as Prior Period Item in Next Year’s accounts

Wrong entry as on 01.04.2009

Prepaid Exp. A/c……..Dr       100

To Exp. A/c                                100

Rectification Entry

Exp A/c…..Dr            200

To Prior Period Item. A/c          200

Actual exp. falls short of Rs 200 as a result of the error.

This is a current year’s error so can be rectified as an ordinary item

Note:- Prepaid Expenses A/c should not be touched upon in the rectification process but requires a disclosure in Notes to accounts regarding the changes in the figures of Balance Sheet where Prepaid Expenses are being grouped i:e Current Asset

The above answer is on the assumption that ENTIRE "Prepaid Expenses" were to be booked in the Next FY. The treatment would be different if Prepaid Expenses were to be spread over 2 or more FY's. 

1 Like

CA Gandharv Sharma (Financial and Taxation consultant)   (514 Points)
Replied 23 April 2010

Originally posted by : Shiva Kumar

Originally posted by : Gandharv

lets thought it simple way:-
exp assumed - rs. 100
1. wrong entry passed (previous year)-
Exp a/c dr. 100
      to PP Exp a/c. 100
2. Right Entry shud be passed (previous year)-
PP Exp A/c dr. 100
     to Cash A/c. 100
3. Rectification Entry to be passed(in current year)(recommended)-
PP Exp A/c dr. 200
     To prior period Exp. A/c (Exp. A/c) 100
     To cash A/c 100
4. Current status - assuming expenditure has been incurred in current year, now the entry no 1 will be passed (recommended):-
Exp. A/c dr. 100
       To PP Exp. A/c. 100.
Thus in the current year only entry no 3 and 4 will be passed. Prior period entry will be shown in profit and loss a/c as a separate head as per disclosure requirements of AS-5. Ultimately cash effect will have to be generated by crediting cash or in other words, one entry to be passed:-
PP Exp. A/c dr. 100
       to cash a/c.   100 (Not recommended)

Dear Ghandarav, Please forgive me, you cannot pass this entry. Where was the mistake in cash in the first place.

Sorry to say, please improve standard.

Good Luck

Shiva

well sir, please dont say any thing like forgive etc, as we are here to help each other... i read ur ans, now a very simple question for u sir, just tell me how will u 'book' a prepaid expense in a year?? i will be thank ful for ur answer, and about my standards, u dont have to worry about.... waiting 4 ur answer sir.

SAHIL (Chartered Accountant/ CFP / B.com(AF)/ NCFM)   (760 Points)
Replied 23 April 2010

HMMMM.......SO MANY REPLIES & DIFFERENT VIEWS.........

IN MY OPINION,IT SHOULD BE-

EXP. A/C              DR.

TO                  EXPENDITURE(OR INCOME) RELATED TO PRIOR YEAR A/C

THIS WOULD NULLIFY THE EFFECT OF DOUBLE BOOKING OF EXP. LAST YEAR AND UNDER BOOKING OF EXP. THIS YEAR.

ALSO I REQUEST U ALL 2 KINDLY GO THROUGH THE QUERY CAREFULLY,AS I'V MENTIONED 2 ENTRIES IN IT.

Shiva Kumar (CA Final) (208 Points)
Replied 24 April 2010

You cannot just change your query and make the previous answers look all wrong......

Don't simply change the question, if required you should have started another thread...

Ok, Now to the answer to your revised question (ASSUMING There will be no further revisions)

Option 1

Dont pass any ENTRY - NO ENTRY.

Reason:

1. If the amount is Immaterial

2. Logic is that, if say, the TOTAL Expense is Rs.10,000 paid in 08-09 50% assumed as prepaid.

The expense should be spread over 08-09 and 09-10, i.e., the total expense debited to P/L a/c should be Rs.10,000

In the sequence of wrong entries,

In 08-09        Rs.15000 Debited to Expense (Initial Debit of Rs.10,000 while paying the expense and Rs.5000 debited while wrongly passing the entry earlier)

In 09-10        Rs.5000 Credited to expense A/c (Again because of wrong entry)

The Net amount taken to P/L a/c for both the years seen together is only Rs.10000 (Rs.15000Dr-Rs.5000Cr). Hence, as the Net amount is same as the actual incurred amount and as the amount seems immaterial, forget it.

A wrong entry has been set right by another wrong entry.....

OPTION 2

This option may be chosen, if

1. The amount is material

2. You are all for CORRECT Accounting

Nature

Correct Entry

Wrong Entry

Rectification Entry

Prepaid Booking

Prepaid A/c Dr    5000

To Expense A/c       5000

Expense           5000

To Prepaid          5000

Prepaid A/c   Dr 10000

To Prior Period       10000

(Note 1)

Current year expense

Expense A/c Dr   5000

To Prepaid                5000

Prepaid            5000

To Expense         5000

Expense A/c Dr 10000

To Prepaid              10000

If you, in the rectification entries passed, the prepaid account is Debited for Rs.10000 and Credited for Rs.10000, so a net entry may be passed as

Expense  A/c    Dr        Rs.10,000

To Prior Period                         Rs.10000

Note: 1.

If the rectification entry was passed in 08-09 itself, the Credit should have been given to the expense account.

As the entry is passed in 09-10, we are crediting the Prioe period A/c

Shiva

Replied 24 April 2010

YA SHIVA, THATS WHAT I'V SUGGESTED IN MY RECENT REPLY( JUST ABOVE URS )& ALSO AT THE START OF THE THREAD............

ALSO 1 THING SHIVA, DON'T GET ME WRONG BRO, MY INTENTION WAS NEVER 2 PROVE EVERY1 WRONG, IT WAS JUST AN OMISSION ERROR.....................AND I TOTALLY ADMIT IT.

REGARDS

SAHIL

Replied 24 April 2010

BUT SHIVA,I ALSO GET THE FEELING THAT IT CAN BE-

EXPENSES A/C          DR,         10000

TO          PRIOR PERIOD EXP.(INCOME) A/C     5000

TO          PREPAID EXP. A/C                                   5000

BCZ WE CANNOT TOUCH LAST YEAR'S PREPAID EXP. AMT., BUT WE HAV 2 REDUCE THE PREPAID EXP. OF THIS YEAR WHICH HAVE BEEN OVERBOOKED.................WT DO U SAY?

Shiva Kumar (CA Final) (208 Points)
Replied 24 April 2010

Originally posted by : SAHIL

BUT SHIVA,I ALSO GET THE FEELING THAT IT CAN BE-

EXPENSES A/C          DR,         10000

TO          PRIOR PERIOD EXP.(INCOME) A/C     5000

TO          PREPAID EXP. A/C                                   5000

BCZ WE CANNOT TOUCH LAST YEAR'S PREPAID EXP. AMT., BUT WE HAV 2 REDUCE THE PREPAID EXP. OF THIS YEAR WHICH HAVE BEEN OVERBOOKED.................WT DO U SAY?

SAHIL, I will tell you a way to understand these entries,

If I pass the entry above then,

Prepaid A/c will show a credit balance, whereas it should show a nil balance!!!!!.

See, they have wrongly given credit in the last year and debited in the current year, so the balance in prepaid acount is already NIL.

If you pass your entry, then prepaid account will show a credit balance??. Which should not happen, then how will you knock off that credit balance. Do not confuse too much

Draw up Ledger extract in the following three scenarios and you will understand the concept.

1. Correct Entries - Prepaid Ledger and Expense Ledger

2. Wrong Entries with your entries

3. Wrong entries with my Entry above.

Check which will give you the correct profit figure,

Shiva

mahesh (Will soon be a CA !) (168 Points)
Replied 25 April 2010

Originally posted by : SAHIL
IN ONE OF THE DEPARTMENTS,WHILE BOOKING THE PREPAID EXP. FOR YR. 08-09, THE ACCOUNTANT WRONGLY CREDITED THE 'PREPAID.EXP. A/C' AND DEBITED THE 'EXP A/C'. THEN FURTHER, WHEN IN THE NEXT YEAR STARTING, THE REVERSAL WAS 2 B PASSED FOR PREPAID EXP., HE AGAIN WRONGLY DEBITED 'PREPAID EXP.' A/C AND CREDITED THE 'EXP.'A/C.............
NOW WE'V 2 PASS THE RECTIFICATION ENTRY IN THE CURRENT YR.,

hi ... i read many replies ... but due to they being many and none of them is concluded i want to add my solution to the problem and its up to SAHIL and the EXPERTS to decide and pls conclude the post...

Corect Entry for pre paid  expenses

Prepaid Expense   Dr

To Cash /bank

( Its not To Expense A/c as the expense has not accrued but it had incurred... )

From here before i proceed, i would like sahil to clarify me a few points . Was the expense incurred or accrued. Did you find enough evidence in your audit to call it a prepaid expense.i.e. an expense which has incurred in current year but relating to the next year.Just because the account is named by the accountant a prepaid expense . the expense does not become a prepaid expense. This is one and next is if your answer to the above question is yes... then first check where did he pass the entry relating to cash flow.He must have passed entry or ommitted it.If he passed then pls find out that entry if ur sure that he might not have passed then .... keeping the entries aside ... give moc for it. rectification entries can be sugessted once my doubts are cleared. I hope they are genuine and u understood wt i am asking for.

Replied 25 April 2010

@ MAHESH

ANSWER TO 1ST HALF OF UR QUES-    YES

2ND HALF-  I SCRUTINISED THE LEDGER IN DETAIL AND FOUND THAT ALL IS WELL EXCEPT THE EXCEPT THE ERROR MENTIONED ABOVE ( DR. INSTEAD OF CR.)

ALSO 1 THING, V R DOING THE AUDIT OF H.O. OF THE BANK,SO NO MOCs HERE,K BRO? FOR ANY CORRECTION,JUST PASS NEW VOUCHER IN A LOT.

WHEN I'D POSTED THIS POST, I'D ALREADY PASSED THE RECTIFICATION ENTRY AS-

EXP. A/C         DR.

TO      EXP. RELATED TO PRIOR YEAR A/C

(( OR U CAN  SAY INCOME ALSO))

I JUST WANTED 2 INVITE THE VIEWS OF CA SCHOLARS PRESENT HERE IN THE CLUB..............

& AS U CAN C,THERE R ALREADY MANY,EVEN I'V NOT READ THEM ALL!

mahesh (Will soon be a CA !) (168 Points)
Replied 26 April 2010

ok.then lets continue this post... for all the experts ...

how far do you think the entry is right ... pls read my post so that you will understand my doubt.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: