LTCG on Inherited property - Unknown cost of acquisition

Saurabh (NA) (26 Points)

04 December 2010  

My Grandfather constructed a house in 1970. The cost of construction/land is unknown and probably not relevant. In 2006 he passed away, with my Grandmother being the sole occupant in this property. There was no registration done to officially transfer the ownership to my Grandmother at that point in time. In 2009 my Grandmother passed away and my mom along with her 2 brothers inherited the property and there was an official registration done at this point. They subsequently sold the property in May 2010 for 30 lakhs which they split 3 ways. My questions are:

1. To compute LTCG, will the date of acquisition on this property be 1970 or 2006?

2. If it's 1970, how do we calculate the LTCG given cost of acquisition is unknown and there is no CII available before 1982.

3. If it's 2006, how do we calculate the LTCG given cost of acquisition is unknown again. I am guessing we need some assessment of what the property was worth in 2006 and  apply the CII from 2006 to 2010?

My mother and I are  now thinking of investing in another property to be jointly held by both of us, where she invests 20 lakhs (including the 10 lakhs she got from the sale above) and I invest 20 lakhs. Given that the property would be held jointly by us, does that still qualify her for an LTCG exemption? As a follow up question, if we invest in a property that is being constructed right now and if construction is delayed so that the final payment we make is 3 years later, does that still qualify for an LTCG exemption?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of? Thanks a lot for your help! I know I am asking too many questions! :-)