Easy Office
LCI Learning

Learning english from newspapers

Page no : 2

(Guest)
@ raj chopra, click on the yellow star, you can see it on the right side of top of the page.. next to logout button.
2 Like

Mohammed (CS, Mcom, LLB) (852 Points)
Replied 27 February 2012

Nice Post by Mr. Sourav and also Mr. Sudarsan keep sharing!!!!

1 Like

miss tanveer ahuja (Company Secretary) (279 Points)
Replied 27 February 2012

so knowledgeable thing

pls keep sharing......smiley

1 Like

Sourav Banerjee MA,MSW (Shabda Bramha) (8842 Points)
Replied 27 February 2012

Thank you very much, Dear Readers for your interest in the topic covered.

Thanks a lot for your words of appreciation ( both for me and Mr. Sudarsan ), Mr. Mohammed.

1 Like

Vandana Mulchandani (Finance Manager ) (9227 Points)
Replied 27 February 2012

Wonderful sharing as usual dada, you always come with a big bash. Its so true and correct that we can learn and improve our vocabulary. Thank you for helping all of us to learn new words..... Bookmarked

1 Like

Annu (Chase your Dreams) (825 Points)
Replied 27 February 2012

v.true post!!

thanx 4 sharing....

rahul (Chartered Accountant) (5570 Points)
Replied 27 February 2012

Originally posted by : GAUTAM DEY

AWESOME SHARING

HIGHLY KNOWLEDGEABLE POST

THANKS DADA FOR SHARING

PLEASE KEEP SHARING

1 Like

*RENU SINGH * (✩ §m!ℓ!ñġ €ม€§ fℓม!ñġ ђ♪gђ✩ )   (21627 Points)
Replied 27 February 2012

Bhaiya  first  of all thanks for clearing my doubts.angel

I  Understood but I guess, I have to practically note down those things very well  only then I can learn them.enlightened

And sorry for not reading ur post last time….. but now let’s finish it in nice way ….so that I can remember and use such words…..

I would include those words also which I used to forget ….

• Subtle :-  analyze, something in hidden way, something different .
    • He is very subtle minded person. He won’t lose hope so easily.  He will surely win although lightening doesn’t strike twice.
  • Intractable: - difficult to manage.
    • Although life gives you Intractable situation sometimes, which can only be handled by patience.
  • carved out of :- actually can find the expression but not exact meaning
    • He succeeded just because he carved the fear out of his mind.
  • DITHERED :-  Be undecided, uncertain
    • Even though he made a bone about the discussion but he was looking dithered.
  • Mandated :- prescribed
    • MRTP commission mandated large business units  to restrict the monopoly till liberalization rule came in 1991.
  • Troops :- soldiers collectively
    • There were so many troops while we were coming back to home during exams. Later we came to know that  an accident happened there.
  • Plebiscite :- Vote
    •  No one can take part in plebiscite until and unless he doesn’t attain the age of  18 . As he is not sui juris.
  • Festered :-  Matured, ripened
    • The mangoes taste best only when they are festered.

bhaiya some doubts are there ....... I guess ,made some grammar mistakes , like subtle minded........  let me know them ......

Still 4 para left. Now you can imagine how hard it will be for me to read editorial page.crying

Sorry couldn’t finish whole indecision……will try tomorrowlaugh

1 Like

Replied 27 February 2012

smiley That's a painful yet very commendable effort, Dear Renu. yes

Take your own time and learn them slowly. And don't forget to rehearse the newly-learned words ( ones  that you feel like remembering first ) when you have free time, e.g. before going to bed [ but don't spoil your sleep in the process laugh].

Nawaz (CA Final) (195 Points)
Replied 27 February 2012

First of all - thank you, Mr. Sourav for an interesting and engaging article.

I would say that one should not read the editorial for the sake of reading or out of compulsion. Passion to lean new words should come from thyself.

I literally grew up watching cartoons and I can say that still I watch cartoons without even a least bit of shame. Everyone thought that watching cartoons was a waste of time and it was of no use, on the contrary it actually helped me to improve my English listening capacity.

Then when I was in my early teens, I was fascinated by horror novels, I was spellbound by their charm. Short stories and novellas like "A Tell Tale Heart", "Monkey's Paw", "The Fall of the House of Usher", "The Inn", "Pet Sematary", "IT", "Carrie" etc.. would make you realise the greatness of English Language. 

I personally feel that if you do anything out of compulsion, it ain't gonna work brother. Forget "The first rank holder read newspapers daily, so I am also going to do it" kind of lame thoughts. Do what you like, read what you like, listen what interests you. I fortuitously found my love in Horror novels and I could feel its impact on my way of presentation and communication .

So the piece of advice I would like to give is "to follow your heart and read what you like regularly", don't see reading as a chore; rather create an interest and love for the language, It will love you back.

1 Like

(Guest)

Thanks for sharing.....BOOKMARKED......

Replied 27 February 2012

Thank you very much, Dear Mr. Nawaz, for your value addition to the post.

Of course, one should not blindly follow the bandwagon if there is a paucity of interest in the person concerned. And anyone who is willing to taste the beauty of any language or for that matter any subject, will find her/his way into the depth of it. This way may well be at variance with the common social practice of learning. I myself followed the same route in my boyhood. Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, Alistair Maclean et. al. were my constant companions at that time. Out of my interest to go deeper into the subject, I'd translate the Short Stories of Balaichand Mukhopadhayay and check it with my English teacher. The translations were as awful as one can imagine of, yet it served its purpose. I'm less worse today than what I would have been without these interest-driven efforts.

With time, as I began preparing for Competitive Examinations, I found interest in the Newspapers in general and the Editorial section of those Newspapers in particular. I followed the bandwagon with my eyes wide open. I've said it twice already and I still repeat that the Editorials help in the development of one's analytical prowess. But that does not mean, it is the only source; - it is, actually, one of the sources just as playing Chess is ( for example ).

My endeavour is to make things easier for the busy friends of mine who do not get enough chances to read books or follow Editorials. But here too, one's interest will reign supreme and my effort will produce different results for different persons.

Regards.

SB

1 Like

Sanket (!..Live to Give..!) (16427 Points)
Replied 28 February 2012

Great thread started.......

A perfect post...

Sorry this time i can't add any value to it....as its new topic for me.....

Angsuman Bora (Final Student/ CWA) (105 Points)
Replied 06 March 2012

Thanks for sharing Sourav dada

(Guest)

A Growing Peace Constituency

Pakistanis are beginning to question conventional wisdom on Kashmir

Shashi Tharoor”

hahahahahahaaaa,,,,

What a controversial topic along with controversial author,,,,,,, sunanda are you hearing,,, this

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: