Itr2 - jurisdiction residence for nri ay19-20

Dear(s).

I am a NRI and was filling my ITR-2 as 'Non Resident Indian' for AY2019-20. This year department has introduced Jurisdiction Residence for NRI.

1. What details are expected here? Is it the country that I currently stay (USA?)

2. Also its a free text field (NOT a drop down). I tried entering US, USA, United States of America and was able to generate XML. But when I try loading that to income-tax web site it gives error - 'The value 'USA' of element ITRForm.JurisdictionResidence' in no valid'

Please advice.

Replies (11)

Go to profile section, you will find your Assessing officer jurisdiction

Got the same error while filing my wife's ITR today. It worked fine for me yesterday . not sure if any system changes caused this
Utility got changed today. Download the latest utility and use it

I have the same problem with Jurisdiction residence for NRI. I am using the latest excel file on IncomeTax website. error says - code not valid, use one from www.incometaxefilling.gov.in/master  : Jurisdiction Residence... please help to resolve this error. I am not able to find List of countries with Code.

Thank you for all responses.

 

As Alfred mentioned, the issue was with Excel utility/ I downloaded latest one and it had drop down value and it worked. Alternatively I used the X M L tool which had no issues. I am good with my submission. Thanks

Yep, the form changed again on 11/07... it's so frustrating that one of the biggest democracy can't have good professionals to code for income tax return software. They still go with excel or complete jar. how many people understand java/jar. 

excel was full of errors, filling for 2019-20, highest year of taxation was 2017. these are silly mistakes and looks like no quality control. 

I am facing similar problem in filing ITR2 for my NRI son. What should I enter as his jurisdiction. Tried entering the jurisdiction mentioned in his PAN card details, but I still got error while uploading the XML. Pls advice.

I agree. Specially when India is known to be a country of software professionals...!!!

Try entering 2 in that field (No of USA in drop down in section 1).

I am encountering another problem. I do not have any capital gains entries and it is giving an error for Sec 54F entry, saying it needs something in the field.

Did you file ITR1 or ITR2?

ITR-1 is only for resident individuals

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA / CA Inter - 2 Groups Cleared

Getmyca Consultant Pvt Ltd

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details