ITR1 - income chargeable under salaries - Doubt - Plz help

sk_1122 (NA) (134 Points)

24 June 2017  

Hi all. I have one query / doubt related to efiling ITR 1.

In Form 26AS my employer has shown the gross income mentioned in Form 16 / Salary certificate and not the income chargeable under the head salaries.

Now, I understand I need to show income chargeable under the head salaries in ITR 1 in Income details section.

But, the SCH TDS1 section gets the prefilled value of gross salary from 26AS but the field heading in TDS1 section in ITR1 for FY16-17 is "Income chargeable under Salaries" which is confusing. In last year's ITR 1 form, this field was named "Income under Salary" which was OK as the entire salary was pre-filled here.

Now, is this an error / negligence in this year's ITR1 or this is a deliberate change?

What shall I do? Shall let the pre-filled gross salary amount remain in SCH TDS1 "Income chargeable under Salaries" field and specify the correct Income chargeable under Salaries in Income details section like last year? Or shall I uodate the "Income chargeable under Salaries" in SCH TDS1 also with the actual Income chargeable under Salaries from Form 16. I am worried that this mismatch may be an issue while automated processing against Form 26AS data?

Plz suggest

See this image for the difference: