Itr 2 for nri and how to file on income tax website

Hi, I was an NRI for the FY 2017-18 (moved abroad at the end of April 2017 and returned in April 2018), received the salary in India for April 2017 before I moved abroad for work for which TDS was deducted as well (I need to get this refund since my salary received in April 2017 was way less than the exempted limit). Since my status was NRI, I understand that I need to use ITR2 for filing. But, in the income tax website, I do not have an option to fill the details online when I choose ITR2 (the option is there for ITR1) and I only get the upload X M L option. How do I use it and how do I get the X M L which I can edit and upload?

Thanks in advance,

LB

Replies (5)

steps-to-e-filing-your-income-tax-return

 

file-itr-2

 

Instruction_ITR2_2018

Online ITR2 filing cannot be done, you have to download the utility from https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/downloads/offlineUtilities?lang=eng and fill it offline, generate X M L and upload it.

Thanks for the information. Since my income was there only for a month, it is less than the exemption under chapter VIA deductions (it is there in my Form 16) and hence I am getting an error in the utility saying that "Salary disclosed in income details is less than 90% of salary reported in Schedule TDS 1."

Can you advise what needs to be done here? Should I remove the chapter VIA deductions when preparing the return?

Thanks and Regards,

LB

No. Rather fill the salary income same as gross salary as shown in form 16 or as shown in TDS schedule (before deduction of any allowances)

 

If you are doing this for AY 18-19, and filing ITR2, and had 1 month salary income in India, show breakup of salary in Schedule SALARY. 

Basic salary in line 1, other taxable allowances in line 2, Rs 200 tax on employment on line 5 and that way you file.

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
CA Articles

Kothari Jain Patil & Chartered Accountants

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Articles

Saini Pati Shah & Co LLP, Chartered Accountants

Mumbai

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 04 September 2026
Accounts Executive

Hema Yashwanth & Associates

Chennai

B.Com

View Details