ICICI

Internal Audit

Raajiv (Article)     11 July 2011

Raajiv
Article 
 1 likes  55 points

| My Other Post

Dear Friends,

I want your opinion on a process followed by my client engaged in manufacturing sector:-

GRN (Goods Receipt Note) is prepared by them for all purchase of goods after which they are sent to quality dept for testing. If quality dept rejects them then they are returned to the vendor and the GRN is cancelled.

My view is that GRN should be prepared only for those goods which are approved by the Quality Dept.

Please suggest your views.

Thanks.

avater

Anjaly.P.A ( Article( CA Final))     11 July 2011

Anjaly.P.A
Article( CA Final) 
 19 likes  216 points

View Profile | My Other Post

I think you are right.

ROSHNI (JHUYU)     11 July 2011

ROSHNI
JHUYU 
 2 likes  41 points

GRN is to be prepared only for those goods which are accepted after necessary clearance from QC and other relevant departments. Until the inspection and acceptance are over they are treated as NSI (NON STOCK ITEM) which form part of third party goods lying in the godown. Of course the coverage of insurance is the other matter to be checked

1 Like
avater

Ravi Somani(Ernst and Young) (Internship)     11 July 2011

Ravi Somani(Ernst and Young)
Internship 
 22 likes  146 points

No.. generally GRN dept will be near the gate of entry of goods and as the term says it is the "Goods Received Note"... so no matter whether the goods are obsolete they are recorded in number of goods received originally before QC. even the client billing/ invoice will be on original quantity i.e. before inspection. a debit note is created for any goods that are rejected in the course of audit. It was the procedure followed in one of the cement manufacturing companyfor which i did purchase to pay audit.

1 Like
avater

Ayush Tripathi (ca final)     11 July 2011

Ayush Tripathi
ca final 
 15 likes  169 points

True....thats a common problem with manufacturing entities. Many times Goods received are returned due to defective quality or any other reason. In such cases Debit note should be issued & Rajiv I tell u one thing , the real problem starts here.

Many a times Debitnotes are not issued which creates problem in Ledger Scrutinity. Their late issue creates problem of  proper accounting treatment.

Well these are after issues, but one thing is for sure, GRN is issued for all the goods received.

1 Like
avater

CA P KARTHIKA (Chartered Accountant)     11 July 2011

CA P KARTHIKA
Chartered Accountant 
 62 likes  715 points

Hi Mr. Raajiv,

Goods received note should be received and signed by the person authorised to receive, check such goods... So no harm wen your client is following such activity..... Its an authentication for receipt of goods, even though Quality department rejects such goods, then GRN is cancelled so no where loopholes are found.... There should be effective internal control existence to prevent loopholes.... This practice is correct

1 Like
avater

sinnur satish balkrishna (audit)     12 July 2011

sinnur satish balkrishna
audit 
 46 points

:) Thankt u.

avater

Raajiv (Article)     13 July 2011

Raajiv
Article 
 1 likes  55 points

Want to ask why Debit Notes are to be raised for rejection of goods when only GRN is prepared.?

I feel Debit notes must be raised only when purchases are booked and then goods are rejected.

Please advice.

avater

Ankit Bansal ( Sr. TAX Accountant)     14 July 2011

Ankit Bansal
Sr. TAX Accountant 
 3 likes  42 points

you r right, Debit note is not raised because purchase is not raised

It is confermed that party make a purchse on return basis so there is not requirement to raised the debit note.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »