Avail 20% discount on updated CA lectures for Dec 21 .Use Code RESULT20 !! Call : 088803-20003

ICICI

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

RISHI BANERJEE (CONSULTANT)     19 June 2012

In which head of income, pension under eps & from lici be t

Dear Sirs,

I shall be obliged if you enlighten me under which head of Income the following Income is chargeable to Income Tax:

1.     Pension from Regional Providend Fund Commissioner under " Employees' Pension Scheme '

2.     Pension received from Life Insurance Corporation of India under certain specific Policies.

5 Replies

RAKESH

RAKESH (Almost CA)     20 June 2012

Assuming that the pension received is Commuted 

1. In case of government employee - fully exempt

2 . In case of non government employee - It is subject to exemption

All the Pension related income is to be charged to Tax under Income from salary.

RISHI BANERJEE

RISHI BANERJEE (CONSULTANT)     20 June 2012

My dear Rakesh,

Here, the Pension is being received from (a) Regional Provident Fund Commissioner under 'Employees Pension Scheme' and (b) LICI under Pension Scheme.  Incase, it is received from past Employer, it could be shown under "SALARY" and accordingly it could be filled up in ITR-1, ITR-2, ITR-3 and ITR 4 giving the Employer's name, address etc.

But, the problem is giving  Employer's name, address etc., as neither the Regional Provident Fund Commissioner nor the Life Insurance Corporation is the Employer of the Assessee.

Kindly enlighten me.

RISHI BANERJEE

RISHI BANERJEE (CONSULTANT)     20 June 2012

Further,

As there is no Employer-employee relationship, such receipts should not come under "SALARY". It should come under "Income from Other Sources", although it is termed as PENSION. Kindly put your valued oinion.

RISHI BANERJEE

Rani

Rani (None)     16 March 2016

Retired from a private company. Getting pension from EPF. Is it taxable?

Nirmal Bhansali

Nirmal Bhansali   22 June 2019

Pension or annuity should be part of salary n you get standard deduction on that. By putting in OS, you lose that benefit you are entitled for. EPFO or LIC can't be employer as they are paying pension or annuity on behalf of employer. Therefore employer should be the one you served all those years. Open for discussion.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register