How to rectify the mistakes in previously filed itr

Hello,

I filed my ITR for AY 2012-13 online.

But in that by mistakely, I forgot to mention deductions under section 80c. Now CPC has sent me a notice saying some demand has been determined.

So now can you please tell me is it possible to rectify the mistakes in previously filed ITRs? Can I claim the 80c deductions while requesting for rectification? And what all documents do I need to furnish while filing rectification request?

So basically, can you please let me know what all options do I have now?

 

Thanks in advance.

Sharad

Replies (5)

Did you file your returns before due date ?

Did you file your returns electronically?

Then you may file rectification u/s 154. You may visit IT website, register and look for rectification u/s 154. 

Yes. I filed my ITR before due date and filed it electronically.

Originally posted by : Sharad
Yes. I filed my ITR before due date and filed it electronically.

Your query is covered u/s 139(5) of IT Act :

139(5) If any person, having furnished a return under sub-section (1), or in pursuance of a notice issued under sub-section (1) of section 142, discovers any omission or any wrong statement therein, he may furnish a revised return at any time before the expiry of one year from the end of the relevant assessment year or before the completion of the assessment, whichever is earlier :..”

Therefor you can furnnish a revise return before 31.03.2014 if Assesment order is not received.

 

File revised return not go for rectification

So here should I file a Revised ITR or Rectification request?

What is the difference between both methods?

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Aviv Global Private Limited

Ahmedabad

CA

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartared Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details