How to deal with isca... (ca final)

CA Sagar Jeurkar (NA) (233 Points)

31 January 2012  

Please read carefully what I'm about to write. I hope this style of studying will improve your score in ISCA.

Total Number of Chapter - 10
Lengthy chapters -  1,2,3 and 10  (almost 50% of your book)

If you see any question paper, you will observe that ICAI has given weight-age to every chapter. so don't even think of keeping any chapter as "Option". Examiner can easily notice that you have done selective reading of the subject and he may exercise his OPTION to deduct your marks. :P 55+ ka sidha 45 ho jayega. trust me.

Read chapter 1 and 2 first. it may take some extra time. but read in detail. try to understand why this point? why this explanation? where it is applicable in practical scenario? you should not mug up the points or technical words. it should come by number of readings. Memory techniques wale fail ho gaye hai yeh time. "Understand Logical Sequence" of points. every topic of discussion has some reason behind it.. WHY?.. that should be your first question.. yeh aise hi sequence mein kyon likha hai..? You'l find it logical. it's like a flow chart. When you understand the logic, it will be easy to recall all points in given sequence. 

(CAUTION : IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU SHOULD DO "PHD" IN ALL CHAPTERS,  TIME MANAGEMENT IS VITAL)

after that you can read Ch 4 to 8, chapter 3 and finally 9 & 10.

Chapter 3 is related to control objectives; so reading other chapters before you read this one, will give you better picture. I know you may question that I'm advising you to go off the sequence, but I personally found it interesting to read that way. You can try your own strategy for that matter.

Reasons why we lose Interest in studying subjects like ISCA

* Chalta hai attitude : non-core subject hai, kuch bhi likho pass to ho jayenge, memory techniques are more than enough, detail mein kyon padhna hai.
* Lack of understanding:  It is very normal tendency, that if we're not able to understand anything despite of numerous readings; we do lose interest in subject and we either don't read it or we try to mug it up.
* Status of subject:  the moment you think that this subject is faltu / baccho ka khel / timepass etc etc ; believe me you have lost half battle. Don't under-estimate any subject you study no matter how easy it seems. RESPECT for what you read is the key to change your perception.

1) understand concept (this is very imp. if you not able to understand then ask teachers or discuss with friends. "Ratta mat maro")
2) trace logic behind sequence of points explained (you may not find it in all cases, but it's there in most of the topics)
3) co-relate with one practical example (easy way to understand & remember the concept)
4) list down Points and Technical words (Info Tech paper is all about technical language you use, thus VERY imp.)
5) prepare Charts / Diagrams  (your answer paper is the only representation you make to examiner. Express yourself carefully and tactfully. when we buy some gadgets, the first question comes to our mind is " whether it is User-Friendly". Same expectations are there by the examiner. if you write lengthy off-the-point answers, you may lose marks. Use charts and diagrams. It will save your time and answer will look more comprehensive)
6) Explaining points:  students often have wrong idea that we should write main points carefully and explanation kuch bhi chalega. It doesn't work that way in CA exams. your entire answer should be technical enough to be eligible for proper reward.

Why number of readings : It will help you to understand the concept more clearly. call it learning effect or whatever you want. There are concepts in ISCA where you may require to spend more time. Number of readings should not be used for "Mugging up"; but to understand the subject in detail.

###  Question 1 - Case Study:

Intention behind this question : Application of Concepts and "Advising"  to solve the issues identified.

a)  This is practical question and not at all just theory based. if you fail to give analysis, reasoning and advise then you may get less marks.
b)  Company is asking you for solution and not for theory behind the issue. First you explain issue and then come up with solution as well. Try to be more precise  i.e. write action points to be followed by company to solve issues. More accurate and implementable solution you give, more practical it will look.

Format for answering Que 1.  
 * Facts of the case
 * Issues in the case
answer (a), (b), (c) and (d) : try to define the concepts in Introduction part. Main answer in point-wise format and write conclusion giving advice or action points.

Other questions are to be answered in Point-wise format.
* Introduction
* Main answer
* Conclusion / recent developments in that area
* Again I will remind - use Charts / diagrams.

Answers for questions related to IT Act and IS Security policy (ch 9), should be to the point - take is as mandatory condition.
Don't take risk of writing your own ideas and innovations. IS policies are well-defined, if ICAI asks for HIPPA then you have to write what is mentioned in HIPPA and not anything else. 

If you don't know the answer, leave it then and there itself. Don't bluff, because cost is 6 months more.

Mail me if you want more clarification on any of the issues.