House served demand notice for being a joint holder

Vikas Gupta (31 Points)

21 November 2021  

I bought a property and registered it as a joint property in which my wife's name was added.

After 7 years IT raised notices to both of us separately asking for sources of income etc.

2 notices to my wife were not received. It got converted to a legal case. She got this notice and replied that she is a housewife and I have paid for the property and my ITR was attached. Again another notice came saying that they have not received the notice. She sent the same reply again. Both times the reply were written and handed over with a receipt stamp. 

In the meantime I had given all my loan, itr details to the AO concerned and I received a Nil assessment order closing the notice to me for the same property. I had also informed that there is a parallel notice to my wife which also needs to closed.

However, after that IT dept did not close the notice to my wife instead raised an assessment order u s 144 with a demand notice of a huge tax amount. All these documents were marked to a address we were staying 10 years back so we did not receive it. As my case was closed we had assumed that wife's case is also closed. Accidentally with the new portal we saw these AO and demand notice. We have raised appeal form 35.

We are worried because IT department has ignored our 3 letters and still raised two different  AOs for same property. 

One to me clearing the case and another to my wife that they have received ko details. 

Any suggestions on how this is happening and whether IT will reverse the AO and demand notice to my wife.