Help me with indirect tax

Rajat Agrawal (Article)     03 September 2012

Rajat Agrawal
Article 
 11 likes  218 points

| My Other Post

I want to do a self-study for Indirect Taxes. Please suggest me proper ways of studying it thoroughly and suggest me a good book too.

Thanks smiley

avater

CA Ashish Pathak (Employed at Cipla Ltd.)     03 September 2012

CA Ashish Pathak
Employed at Cipla Ltd. 
 507 likes  2757 points

View Profile | My Other Post

Start studying from idt by Bangar sir. Its the best book. At first reading you may face problem understanding some concepts like CENVAT but dont worry every subsequent reading of the book will enable you to master the entire subject. While studying this book you will find lots of case laws. You need not learn all the case laws but do try to learn the recent case laws i.e. of year 2011 n 12. Some of these case laws which are important are specifically highlighted in bold letters or are written in a box. You may start with service tax Vat and customs and at last do excise is bit lengthy and the rest 3 chapters are comparively small and have good weightage. GOOD LUCK.

1 Like
avater

GOPAL AGGARWAL (DOING NOTHING)     03 September 2012

GOPAL AGGARWAL
DOING NOTHING 
 167 likes  1339 points

Rajat I am agree with Ashish but want to differ on some points.

Bangar Sir' book no doubt is good but I will prefer u the Book of Dippak Gupta Sir, quit expensive very short but once u become awae of the basic concepts U will get interest in studying the Bangar Sir, Book.

And while studying the material I will suggest u to go in follwoing order

VAT, Service Tax (40 marks)

Excise (40 marks)

and in last Custom as the Custom is lenghty and covers less marks (20 marks)

AND AT LAST I WILL SAY EACH ONE HAS HIS OWN VIEWS SO BEFORE PURCHASING GO THE SELLER AND HAVE A LOOK ON THE BOOK. AFTER READING BUY THE BOOK.

IF U HAVE ENOUGH TIME THEN U CAN ALSO GO FOR VS DATEY SIR's BOOK

1 Like
avater

Rajat Agrawal (Article)     03 September 2012

Rajat Agrawal
Article 
 11 likes  218 points

Thanks Gopal and Ashis. I'll buy the Bangar book tomorrow and start with Indirect taxes smiley

avater

CA PRAVEEN SINGH (MANAGER ACCOUNTS)     04 September 2012

CA PRAVEEN SINGH
MANAGER ACCOUNTS 
 217 likes  2277 points

Originally posted by : ASHISH PATHAK
Start studying from idt by Bangar sir. Its the best book. At first reading you may face problem understanding some concepts like CENVAT but dont worry every subsequent reading of the book will enable you to master the entire subject. While studying this book you will find lots of case laws. You need not learn all the case laws but do try to learn the recent case laws i.e. of year 2011 n 12. Some of these case laws which are important are specifically highlighted in bold letters or are written in a box. You may start with service tax Vat and customs and at last do excise is bit lengthy and the rest 3 chapters are comparively small and have good weightage. GOOD LUCK.

yes agree...you can also refer v.s.datey

chandra (student)     04 September 2012

chandra
student 
 52 likes  523 points

Suggest you start with Institute's Study Material, Practice Manual, Supplementary Study Paper, Select Cases. These are important from exam point. If time permits read V S Datey's book its very good and practical.

antheshwar (employee)     04 September 2012

antheshwar
employee 
 27 points

plz suggest me a sm&it book for self study

avater

Ganeshbabu K (Audit and Tax Advisory)     04 September 2012

Ganeshbabu K
Audit and Tax Advisory 
 3765 likes  47571 points