GST Rate on export invoice (IT based service) - 18% or 0%?

Hello everyone!!

I'm a freelancer offering web development services to both Indian and foreign clients. For Indian clients, I invoice at 18% GST rate but wondering at what rate I must invoice the foreign clients.

Since exports of services is 'zero rated' under GST regime, should I invoice foreign clients at 0%? Or, should I invoice at 18% and then simply do not pay the tax? (LUT has been furnished for export of services.)

Kindly assist. Thank you!

Replies (2)
Quick Summary
This discussion clarifies the GST rate applicable to IT-based service exports. For services exported to foreign clients, even though the GST rate is noted as 18%, the actual tax charged is 0%. This is because services exported under the GST regime are 'zero-rated'. Freelancers should invoice at 18% but indicate no tax is payable, especially if they have furnished a Letter of Undertaking (LUT) for exports.

Rate will be 18%. You will use export without payment of tax therefore no tax will be charged

Thank you!

See example invoice at the bottom of the article: https://cleartax.in/s/create-export-invoices

So like this, I should put GST rate @ 18% but should not charge the tax amount, right?

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details