Emperor of all the maladies - a reading

Sourav Banerjee MA,MSW (Shabda Bramha) (8842 Points)

21 September 2011  

Dear Friends!!!

Reading a book on the biography of cancer - yes, that dreaded disease, was not part of any plan. My friend suggested it to me and I, out of a feeling that i shouldn't hurt his feelings started reading it. And I was engrossed right from the word 'Go'. This book - a worthy 2011 Pulitzer Award winner, has been written in such a wonderful style as to engross anyone who reads it; and hence, I'd like to recommend it to every member here. I hope reading this book will benefit you in more ways than one and also hope that the words that have intrigued me, will also arouse interest in you as well.

Regards.

THE EMPEROR OF ALL MALADIES A Biography of Cancer – SIDDARTHA MUKHERJEE

Fracas :  A short noisy fight involving several people.

·      Eight people were injured in the fracas.

Ostensible :  Seeming to be the reason for or the purpose of something, but usually hiding the real reason or purpose

·      The ostensible reason for his resignation was ill health.

Usurious :  A usurious price or rate of interest is unfairly high.

·    The money lender is seen as the savior, and the students have no idea that his usurious rates of interest from vulnerable borrowers are wrong.(This one is not from the book mentioned above. It is from a newspaper article)

Dread(v) : To feel anxious or worried about something that is going to happen or may happen.

·      I've got an interview tomorrow and I'm dreading it.

·      I'm dreading going back to work.

·      I'm dreading that I'll be asked to make a speech.

·      He dreaded the prospect of being all alone in that house.

·      I dread to think what will happen if they get elected (= I think it will be very bad).

Riveting (Adj.) : A film, book etc that is riveting or gripping is so interesting or exciting that you do not want to stop watching it, reading it etc.

·      The novel is absolutely riveting from start to finish.

·      The story is a riveting one about two children who find an adventure game which becomes real as they are playing it.

Indiscernible : Very difficult to see, hear, or notice.

·      The path was almost indiscernible in the mist.

·      Almost indiscernibly, her gums had begun to turn white.

Haul : To pull something heavy with a continuous steady movement

·      She hauled her backpack onto her back.

·      I hauled the door shut behind me.

Haul yourself up/out of something etc.

a) To move somewhere with a lot of effort, especially because you are injured or tired:

·      Patrick hauled himself painfully up the stairs.

b) To succeed in achieving a higher position in society, in a competition etc:

·      He is confident that the club can haul themselves further up the league.

Haul somebody off (phrasal verb): To force someone to go somewhere that they do not want to go, especially to prison:

·      Police handcuffed him and hauled him off to jail.

Haul somebody up (phrasal verb): To officially bring someone to a court of law to be judged

·      Campbell was hauled up in front of the magistrate.

Visceral: Visceral beliefs and attitudes are the result of strong feelings rather than careful thought.

·      In the end, something visceral arose inside her – a seventh sense – that told Carla something acute and catastrophic was brewing inside her body.

“ Outgoing, gregarious, and ebullient, Carla was more puzzled than worried about her waxing and waning illness. ”

Gregarious : Friendly and preferring to be with other people [= sociable]

Ebullient : Very happy and excited.

·      My father is a naturally ebullient personality.

Wane : If something such as power, influence, or a feeling wanes, it becomes gradually less strong or less important.

·      My enthusiasm for the project was waning.

·      The group's influence had begun to wane by this time.

On the wane : Becoming smaller, weaker, or less important.                             

·         By the 5th century, the power of the Roman Empire was on the wane.·        

“ The liquid that welled out (= Come out) of Carla’s veins hardly resembled blood”

Well : If an emotion wells in you, it suddenly becomes stronger, to the point where you have to express it.

·      He could feel the anger welling up inside him.

·      Her love for him welled stronger than ever.

....................... And the reading continues...