Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

DIN

Pankaj (sudent) (91 Points)

01 December 2010  

Taxpayers will now have to procure a 'new number' for filing returns and making any communication with the Income Tax department.

The unique Document identification number (DIN), on the lines of numbers like PAN and TAN, will be quoted on "every" income tax-related communication, including returns to be filed next year for the financial year 2010-11.

According to the new guidelines brought out by the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), the DIN will be mandatory "in respect of every notice, order, letter or any correspondence" with the department, by the taxpayers.

"The DIN will be generated by the I-T department and will be useful, essentially, for error-free filing of tax returns, claiming refunds and other communication with the department by the assesses," a senior Finance Ministry official said.

The 'Aykar Sampark Kendras' will hand out the DIN from this month, the official said.

Assesses will not be put to any trouble, as the numbers will be generated and allotted by the department itself.

I-T officials will also be allotted the numbers in order to streamline the process, the official said, adding, the number has to be produced thereon for every activity with the department.

Taxpayers and tax collectors are currently required to quote Permanent Account Number (PAN) and Tax Deduction and Collection Account Number (TAN) among others when returns are filed with the department.

According to section 282B of the Income Tax Act that deals with DIN, if the document sent to the tax authority does not bear this unique computer-generated number then "such document, letter or any correspondence shall be treated as invalid and shall be deemed never to have been received."

DIN is aimed at bringing more transparency in tax administration as the whole exercise involves a number of documents and proformas. Apart from regular filing of taxes, a taxpayer deals with the department for various other financial services, which DIN will help to ease, the official said.

7 Replies

Hemant D (na) (303 Points)
Replied 01 December 2010

CBDT is simply complicating matters. When the dept. itself has allotted PAN&/or TAN what purpose is DIN going to serve. Further at a later date RBI/AMFI will come out with circular that they have to comply KYC with new DIN otherwise their accounts would be frozen which would again be a cumbersome task for the account /unit holders. How is transparency is going to be achieved by introducing DIN is still not understood. Can CBDT explain?

Daxa manek (CA) (108 Points)
Replied 01 December 2010

I think Din will be Pan based only

shailesh agarwal (professional accountant)   (7637 Points)
Replied 01 December 2010

IN MY OPINION -PAN NO IS SUFFICIENT -NOW-DIN -IS WASTAGE OF TIME AND MONEY

Ajay Garg (CA FINAL) (101 Points)
Replied 01 December 2010

I HAVE A QUERY IN RESPECT OF DIN, WHETHER DIN WILL BE TREATED AS PAN OR NOT. IF TREATED AS PAN THAN WHAT WILL BE BENEFIT TO ASSESSEE. IF NOT THAN WHAT IS THE MEANING OF DIN

CA DeePak Goyal (Employed) (28 Points)
Replied 01 December 2010

i agree with the shailesh agarwal

ARDHENDU BHATTACHARYA (TAX PRACTIONER) (94 Points)
Replied 03 December 2010

I understand the DIN will be generated on each activity with the Dept. Hence it is an unique identification of that very acivity.

ARDHENDU BHATTACHARYA (TAX PRACTIONER) (94 Points)
Replied 03 December 2010

I hope the following discussion will solve the doubts about DIN.

DIN is like PAN and TAN ?

The answer is Big no ,PAN is identity of a assessee for income tax payment and assessment ,TAN is identity to tds and tds assessment .DIN is not alternative for either TAN or PAN but for identify a document issued/received by Income Tax department .These number will be unique for each document and to be generated by computer.So there can multiple DIN in respect of one assessee.In simple language it is a replacement of Diary and despatch numbers.

We have to get DIN number from Income tax to file return ?

The answer is no this time also ,there is no need to get DIN to file the return for Financial year 2010-11 ,in fact DIN will a be issued to assessee as a token of receipt on filing of income tax return .Earlier on filing of return a receipt number was issued to assessee by receipt clerk ,DIN is replacement of the receipt number only. Further the same number will be used by assessing officer while serving notices to client .

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Subscribe to the latest topics :
Search Forum:

Trending Tags