The power of belief

(Guest)

Yesterday, my sister told me a story she had heard some time back. I loved the story, so I am sharing it here.

Here goes the story:

An old lady was an ardent believer of Lord Krishna. She had an idol of Kanha/Bal gopal at home. She believed He had life. She treated Him like her own child.

One day, while she was giving Kanha a bath, the idol accidently slipped from her hand. She got worried that Kanha got hurt. She immediately asked her son to call a doctor to check if Kanhaiya is alright. The son tried to convince his mom that Kanha is okay, nothing has happened to him, but she was determined on getting a doctor for him. The son had no choice but to go find a doctor to treat an idol which had no life. He went to several doctors, but none of them was ready to waste their time on a patient who didn’t really exist. At last, a doctor agreed when the son gave him some money and tried to convince him to come with him. The doctor reached the house. The lady was happy to see him and asked him to check if her Kanhaiya is alright. The doctor obviously found the notion of Kanha having life really absurd.

He lifted the idol….the lady seemed very curious and couldn’t take her eyes off Kanha. The doctor examined the idol and said “Your Kanha is fine…you need not worry about him.” But this wasn’t enough, she insisted on him examining Kanha with his stethoscope…the way he treated his other patients. The doctor found it silly but did what she asked him to do.

That day brought a big change in the doctor’s life….because when he placed the stethoscope on Kanha’s idol….he heard his heart beat. Kanha had life.

Our beliefs have immense power. Sometimes, things happen just because you believed they would happen. Things which do not make sense to others sometimes make sense to you.