Easy Office

Communication on arrear demand

Page no : 3

Bosco Menezes (n.a.) (48 Points)
Replied 27 October 2011

Thanks once again, U.S.Sharmaji.

However the communication specifically says :

"Please contact your current jurisdictional Assessing Officer for any clarifications on teh Demands stated in this intimation. Any rectification/correction of the demand can be made only by teh Assessing Officer., CPC cannot carry out any modifications to the above demands nor can it clarify issues regarding these demands".

So i guess we should address our request for recification/correction of the data to the Assessing Officer at the concerned IT Office, and give them a chance to sort out the issue first, before escalating the same.

Regds,

Bosco

Replied 27 October 2011

Originally posted by : Balaji

Dear Bosco,

Could not agree more with your views.Unfortunately what you are talking of is a professional set-up with well-entrenched systems but I'm afraid our I.T.Department is far removed from such an environment.

You are right-when my future refunds actually get adjusted against these fictitious/erroneous Demands at some future date,the officer with whom I interacted yesterday may not be around and the new one could come up with a different view.And all these would require lot of follow-up and leg-work(costing time and money)-to recover monies which in the first place were never due from me!!!!

I am eager to read "NJR"/other experts' views on my experience.

Yes, more expert opinions are always welcome. U. S. Sharmaji has given his expert views, let's also see what NJRji has to say. More experts are welcome to chip in.

U S Sharma (glidor@gmail.com) (21056 Points)
Replied 27 October 2011

Originally posted by : Bosco Menezes

Thanks once again, U.S.Sharmaji.

However the communication specifically says :

"Please contact your current jurisdictional Assessing Officer for any clarifications on teh Demands stated in this intimation. Any rectification/correction of the demand can be made only by teh Assessing Officer., CPC cannot carry out any modifications to the above demands nor can it clarify issues regarding these demands".

So i guess we should address our request for recification/correction of the data to the Assessing Officer at the concerned IT Office, and give them a chance to sort out the issue first, before escalating the same.

Regds,

Bosco

if you have gone through the entire post of replies, then 1st copy to CPC, 2nd copy to assessing officer, 3rd copy to CIT and 4th copy to ombudsman

as reported by members, assessing officer is not in position to co-operate as told by himself, so what the assessee has to do now? and AO can not enforce other officers to rectify the order also.

Ankur Kumar (NA) (21 Points)
Replied 31 October 2011

I also got similar notice dated 16-10-2011 of AY 2008. But have the same doubts as raised in this forum but not sure what is the final answer on these questions:

1. Shall we pay the same?

2. Does AY 2008 mean 2008-2009 or 2007-2008?

Amit Srivastava (Manager) (35 Points)
Replied 01 November 2011

Dear All,

I too have received a similar intimation from the department.

I checked with a Senior Advocate and Corporate Tax Consultatnt and he helped me draft a reply (Format is as under). You may contact him at apsrivastava92 @ rediffmail.com

However, while using the below format, please be sure that

a. there was no calculation mistake in the IT Return for the year in question. 

b. make double sure that there was indeed no (net) tax payable that year or whatever was payable was actually paid by TDS or Self Assessment Tax.

(In other words, make sure that this intimation is indeed an error on the part of the department)

---- Start of Format ----

Date: XX-XX-XXXX

To,

The Income Tax Officer XX (XX) (XX),

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

XXXXXXXX,

City – Pin Code

Sub.:    Communication on Arrear Demand

Communication Reference No. CPC/XXXX/XX/XXXXXXXXXXX

Dated XX-XX-XXXX

PAN No. XXXXXXXXXX

A.Y. 20XX-XX

Sir,

As per the communication mentioned above, an arrear demand of Rs XXXXX has been intimated to me by the CPC purportedly as communicated to him by the Assessing Officer where I am assessed to tax.

2.         In this connection, I wish to state that the return for the Assessment Year in question was filed in your ward on XX.XX.XXXX vide acknowledgement no. XXXXXXXXX. Gross Total Income of Rs XXXXXX was shown and deductions aggregating Rs XXXXX were claimed under Chapter VIA.  Thus the Total Income amounted to Rs XXXXX giving rise to NIL Demand.

3.         I am, therefore, at a loss to understand how the impugned demand of Rs XXXXX has arisen and shown to be in arrears. Apparently, there is an error which may kindly be rectified and the demand in question cancelled.

4.         A copy of the Acknowledgement for having filed the return as claimed is enclosed for reference. Further a copy of the intimation received from the CPC is also enclosed.

I hope, with this, the matter stands fully clarified.

Further communication if any, may be sent to the address mentioned below.

Yours faithfully,

XXXXX XXXXXXX

Complete Postal Address

City – Pin Code

Resi Tel.: (XXX) XXXXXXXX

Mobile: (0) XXXXXXXXXX

---- End of Format ----

Thanks & best regards,

2 Like

Replied 01 November 2011

Amitji,

The format of reply provided by you is very helpful indeed. All of us who have received such demands can use the format with minor tweaking.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to help us out, it is very much appreciated. Do thank your consultant friend too.

Regds,

Bosco

Replied 02 November 2011

Originally posted by : Amit Srivastava

Dear All,

I too have received a similar intimation from the department.

I checked with a Senior Advocate and Corporate Tax Consultatnt and he helped me draft a reply (Format is as under). You may contact him at apsrivastava92 @ rediffmail.com

However, while using the below format, please be sure that

a. there was no calculation mistake in the IT Return for the year in question. 

b. make double sure that there was indeed no (net) tax payable that year or whatever was payable was actually paid by TDS or Self Assessment Tax.

(In other words, make sure that this intimation is indeed an error on the part of the department)

---- Start of Format ----

Date: XX-XX-XXXX

To,

The Income Tax Officer XX (XX) (XX),

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

XXXXXXXX,

City – Pin Code

Sub.:    Communication on Arrear Demand

Communication Reference No. CPC/XXXX/XX/XXXXXXXXXXX

Dated XX-XX-XXXX

PAN No. XXXXXXXXXX

A.Y. 20XX-XX

Sir,

As per the communication mentioned above, an arrear demand of Rs. XXXXX has been intimated to me by the CPC purportedly as communicated to him by the Assessing Officer where I am assessed to tax.

2.         In this connection, I wish to state that the return for the Assessment Year in question was filed in your ward on XX.XX.XXXX vide acknowledgement no. XXXXXXXXX. Gross Total Income of Rs. XXXXXX was shown and deductions aggregating Rs. XXXXX were claimed under Chapter VIA.  Thus the Total Income amounted to Rs. XXXXX giving rise to NIL Demand.

3.         I am, therefore, at a loss to understand how the impugned demand of Rs. XXXXX has arisen and shown to be in arrears. Apparently, there is an error which may kindly be rectified and the demand in question cancelled.

4.         A copy of the Acknowledgement for having filed the return as claimed is enclosed for reference. Further a copy of the intimation received from the CPC is also enclosed.

I hope, with this, the matter stands fully clarified.

Further communication if any, may be sent to the address mentioned below.

Yours faithfully,

XXXXX XXXXXXX

Complete Postal Address

City – Pin Code

Resi Tel.: (XXX) XXXXXXXX

Mobile: (0) XXXXXXXXXX

---- End of Format ----

Thanks & best regards,

Hi Amitji,

Can you please just clarify one more thing from your consultant : If the arrear demand mentions AY as just "2008" , does this mean AY 2007-08 or 2008-09 ?

Earlier on this thread, NJR has said that "2008" means Demand pertains to Asst Yr. 2008-09 (i.e. yr end 31.03.2008). Does your consultant also feel the same ?

Regds,

Bosco

Gaurav (GM) (29 Points)
Replied 02 November 2011

Hi Amit, Good to have you posted the format of the reply for the benefit of everyone. I do have one doubt though. In your reply you mention that one has to be doubly sure that there is no mistake from our side. Although we all will probably check and then double check as well, assume there is a mistake in the calculation which we are unable to catch.

It seems from your statement (or from your advisor's) that if this our mistake the consequences will be grim. May I know why so and what would be they? Worst case whatever is due will have to be paid which anyways was to be paid.

I also wanted to ask the forum that before replying back would it better to try and find out from the concerned officer as to what they think is the mistake and why? Would the IT dept be forthcoming to divulge that information so that we know where is the mistake OR is it just the way the cookie crumbles?

N.J.R (Practice) (346 Points)
Replied 02 November 2011

Originally posted by : Balaji

Dear NJR,

Your understanding of the current situation faced by several assessees is almost perfect and the solutions you have offered are practical.I request your views after perusing the following facts :

1) My mother (for A.Y.2008) and I (for A.Y.2006) also received such E-mail messages from CPC,Bangalore on 23.10.2011 and today I discussed the issue with the A.O. where I filed the Returns for the said years (Salary Processing Centre at BKC,Mumbai) [even though the jurisdictional A.O. mentioned on both the intimations received from CPC was Ward 17(2)-2,Mumbai].

2) In my mother's case,due to a technical error the System had raised a Demand for A.Y.2008-09 but the ITO had on her own motion (without my applying for a rectification) rectified the Demand u/s 154 in 2010.There is no Demand reflecting in their system now.But since CPC,Bangalore has this Demand in their records,she suggested that I wait till this Demand is adjusted against any future refund and subsequently approach BKC,Mumbai and claim the refund for A.Y.2008-09.

3) In my case,while processing u/s 143(1) the system had not included the self-assessment tax that I had paid for A.Y.2006-07 and a Demand was raised on me.But the same was rectified in 2007 on an application by me u/s 154 and a refund issued.Today the A.O. mentioned to me that the rectification must have been carried out manually in 2007 and she suggested the same way forward like the one mentioned for my mother,i.e. wait for the actual adjustment of Demand to take place at a future date in CPC,Bangalore and then approach BKC,Mumbai for refund of Demand amount adjusted against A.Y.2006-07.

Need your expert opinion on :

1) Should I take up the matter with our current jurisdictional A.O. mentioned in the 2 Communications(aka Ward 17(2)-2,Mumbai)? Or should I keep quiet till the Demands are actually adjusted in some future year and then take up the issue with BKC,Mumbai(as suggested by the ITO today)?

2) Does the solution suggested by the ITO at BKC,Mumbai make sense to you?As already explained above,there are no Demands pending in both the cases and I've documentary evidences for the same.But since CPC,Bangalore has made its position clear that it would not involve itself in clearing issues related to old outstanding Demands(as reflected in their system) and would go ahead and adjust the same against future refunds,if any, the only other option left open is to approach my current jurisdictional A.O. but I wonder how helpful it would be.Would be obliged for your advise.

The post is long since I had to give the full facts but trust you would help me out.Helpful suggestions from other experts/Forum members is also requested.Many thanks in advance to all.

Dear All,

Seasons Greetings! Sorry for delay as I was out for a vacation with family. I hv read various further viewpoints in this thread. I hv already made clear in my earlier thread that this COMMUNICATION OF ARREAR from CPC is just clarificatory in nature to clear the stand of CPC that CPC is not at all responsible for wrong adj of demands pertaining to earlier period agst refund receivable by the assessee. They want to make it clear that they hv just picked up the amt shown as outstanding in CPC database & said amt hv been posted/uploaded by the jurisdictional assessing officers.

On going thro' various such email recd, i found that in case of some assessees, CPC had already adj o/s agst refund for A.Y. 2010-11 prior to sending this COMMUNICATION by email. We hv found this when we hv recd Intimation u/s 143(1).

As arrear demand of earlier Asst Yr hv been adj by CPC, we hv crossed check Return/Docs pertaining to that asst yr to find out correctness of demand raised. We found that in some cases, they hv raised said demand by sending Intimation u/s 143(1). Although, we hd filed rectification (in case of wrong demand) OR assessee hd paid that demand (in case of correct demand), said demand has not been deleted by AO from Demand Register. As such, while uploading data in respect of old o/s, AO must hv uploaded said demand (although not correct) & hence all mess followed up.

Subsequently, we hd filed a letter to AO stating the facts on case to case basis & demanded refund of amt which has been wrongly adj agst refund for A.Y. 2010-11. In few cases, AO has admitted our application & also refunded the amt. to the assessee (although very few instances). But all the AO are bound to accept ur application if CPC has wrongly adj ur refund.

Thus, crux of the matter is -

1) As soon as u receive such email, check records pertaining to that asst yr. (If AY2008 i.e. Asst Yr. 2008-09 & yr ending 31.03.2008);

2) If u find that demand shown as outstanding is correct i.e. demand was raised by the dept as per Intimation u/s 143(1) or any other DN but u hv ignored it due to lack of time or any other reason eventhough u beleived it to be correct, then pay the o/s demand immediately. Write one letter to ur jurusdictional AO refering comm. recd from CPC & encl paid challan requesting ur AO to delete the said demand from DC Register as well as from CPC database with clear mention about no future adj of said demand agst any refund due so that if at all CPC adj said demand u can claim refund from ur AO by refering to ur this letter.

3) Otherwise (i.e. if demand shown as o/s is wrong), write to ur AO refering to Comm recd from CPC by giving ref to ur earlier letter for rectification or already paid challans or in case no demands at all explaining the facts thereof with specific mention in ur letter about no adj of said demand in agst any future refund.

I hv also read in this thread that address of assessee was totally diff. & not matching with regd address of the assessee. In that case also it is better to clarify the stand by writing one letter to AO. It may so happen that CPC has auto-generated said letter/emails & therefore recd by the wrong assessee. Same mistake was happened in the past when CPC has auto-generated emails informing assessees about Non-Recpt of ITR-V eventhough Returns of the Cos hv been filed with digital sign.

Thanks & Regards, 

1 Like

Gaurav Tripathi (Working with DIAGEO-Leading Drinks Manufacturing Company)   (210 Points)
Replied 02 November 2011

Originally posted by : NJR

Dear All,

Communication recd with Subject line "Communication on Arrear Demand" is in response to recent move by the CA fraternity against adjustment of very old demands agst refund due of Asst Yr 09-10 / 10-11.

Various associations had raised their voices agst such kind of wrong adj. by CPC without knowing genuineness / existance of such demands. CPC Authorities incl. Commr. (CPC) has replied in defence that they have provided training to the Jurisdictional ITOs to upload data relating to Old Outstanding Demands from their DC Register. ITOs have uploaded the data but without taking into account any pending rectification application & its processing. So CPC had no choice then to adjust said outstanding demands against refund dues eventhough wrong demands.

When any assessee receives Intimation u/s 143(1) as per which Refund receivable is adjusted against any old outstanding demand, pls check the records pertaining to that asst yr. to verify whether demand raised/adjusted is correct or not. As per Intimation if they say AY 2008 that means Demand adj pertains to Asst Yr. 2008-09 (i.e. yr end 31.03.2008).

If as per the record of the assessee demand is correct but said demand has already been paid then one can write letter for rectification to the Jursidictional ITOs (not to CPC, Banglore) & claim refund for that Asst Yr (i.e. for Asst Yr 2008-09).

In most cases, old demands relates to pending rectifications. In that case, give reminder to rectify & request refund of demand wrongly adjusted. Local Assessing Officer have issued refunds in many cases of the similar nature & they are bound to do it.

Communication recd from CPC with this subject line is just to clarify their stand as who will rectify the wrong adjustment of demand so that no confusion regarding procedure to be followed in such cases.

Regards,

Dear NJR,

As per Income Tax any demand for any Assessment year Can not be adjusted with the refund due. for a.y.

As per the question is concerned:

1. Get the assessment order form conerned ward or from bangalore in soft.

2. Note the decripency and file rectification u/s 154. Its very simple write a latter to ITO  by expalining every thing and also the documents as a proof.

Now, the final point: Why everyone is receiving letter for A.Y. 2007-18,2008-09, 2009-10  Its because that Returns related 2008-09, 2009-10 and a bit of 2010-11 was processed by ITO both CPC, as CPC was not able to process all returns.

***Important As per my exp discripency is normaly on account of non credit of TDS. Just attach the Orignal TDS cretificates with your later.

1 Like

Replied 02 November 2011

1. @ Bosco: "2008" means Demand pertains to Asst Yr. 2008-09 (i.e. yr end 31.03.2008) ABSOLUTELY RIGHT In fact, if you call up the CPC Helpline, the only thing that they can provide us with is this info. Consultant was quite surprised to read such half info which could be interpreted as either 2008-09 or 2007-08. 2. @ Gaurav: You are talking of an ideal condition wherein the department is expected to provide us with such info. Let us take that it will not happen that way. And the onus of getting this problem of arrear is on you.
1 Like

Replied 02 November 2011

1. @ Bosco: "2008" means Demand pertains to Asst Yr. 2008-09 (i.e. yr end 31.03.2008) ABSOLUTELY RIGHT In fact, if you call up the CPC Helpline, the only thing that they can provide us with is this info. Consultant was quite surprised to read such half info which could be interpreted as either 2008-09 or 2007-08. 2. @ Gaurav: You are talking of an ideal condition wherein the department is expected to provide us with such info. Let us take that it will not happen that way. And the onus of getting this problem of arrear is on you.
1 Like

Gaurav (GM) (29 Points)
Replied 02 November 2011

I understand that Amit; just wanted to have your opinion on it. You still did not answer as to why you wrote one has to be absolutely and doubly sure before we say that nothing is wrong with my taxes paid.

Anyways let me take a hypothetical case where I filed the returns correctly, my company had cut the correct TDS etc but say I didnt pay the tax due on my saving bank accounts. So out of a possible 3L tax which was to be paid, say I paid only 2.8L. Now would this mean that I would get a arrear demand of 3L plus interest since 2008-2009 or should it be just for the 20k which I didnt pay.

Balaji (Knowledge Seeker) (317 Points)
Replied 03 November 2011

Dear NJR and other expert Forum members,

I request your specific advise on the course of action I need to follow,given the facts :

1) I have already taken up the issue with BKC,Mumbai (where I filed my Returns for the concerned years) and the Officer has specifically asked me to approach them for a refund if and when CPC,Bangalore adjusts the Demands.

2) The letters I carried with me were not accepted by the Officer as she felt they would serve no purpose and she has already offered me the solution to my problem.

3) I have the option of filing the letters at the "Tapal" counter at BKC(inward receipts counter) and get an acknowledgement for the same but going by past experience such submissions generally do not evince any action/response.

4) I can now approach my jurisdictional Ward for redressal but again experience tells me that they would simply raise their hands and direct me to BKC from where the Returns were filed.In all probability,the Demands in CPC,Bangalore records have not been uploaded by the jurisdictional Ward but have been culled from BKC.

5) As Mr.Sharmaji pointed out,I could approach the Ombudsman but before doing so, I need the views of the elite members of this Forum on the best course of action I could follow.

I sincerely thank each of you for your help and providing a step-by-step strategy for resolving the issue.

Replied 03 November 2011

If you go by the officers advice, the wrong demand will most likely remain in the system (unless they unilaterally rectify their records - will they do this i wonder ???).

Hope the experts can give you the proper advise, as on the one hand we want the issue resolved, on the other hand we dont want to antagonise the IT officer.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: