Depression and meaning of life

CA Saroj Kumar (Keen to learn something new every moments)   (2588 Points)

28 March 2014  

Depression

Depression can make your life seem painful and pointless. It can also make life in general seem empty and meaningless. Simply dismissing these feelings as ‘irrational’ or a symptom of ‘illness’ ignores the fact that questions about the meaning of life are profound issues facing humanity in general.

Ask your self

• Who am I?
  • What is the meaning of life?
  • Is it possible to make meaningful connections with others or are we all fundamentally alone?
  • How can I make sense of life in the face of pain, suffering and inevitable death?
  • How can I be sure I am making the right choices for my life?

There are no easy answers to any these questions! Most of the time, we live our lives on the basis of answers and meanings which we have not questioned or considered in detail. We grow up with a view of life learnt implicitly in our family, school and cultural environment. But adolescence and early adulthood is often a time when these questions can become very prominent. Sometimes the assumed meanings and answers no longer feel adequate and we can be left feeling that we face a void of meaning.

Some people think that the pain of depression can be seen as a kind of ‘signal’ to ourselves to take stock and reassess our lives. At the very least, we may need to recognise and change unhelpful habits like depressed thinking. It may also be the opportunity to think more deeply about how to make our lives more meaningful.

It’s up to us!

In other words, there is no predetermined meaning to life – it is up to us to try to make our lives meaningful. As individuals we have to find what values or goals or occupations will give our own lives meaning. And as communities and societies we have to find how best to work together to build meaningful futures.

The answers will be different for everybody, but the things that have helped many people find meaning in their lives include: feeling that their occupation is worthwhile or helpful to others; having a religious belief or a value system which gives meaning; being in touch with the natural world; or simply each day reminding themselves what they are thankful for.

Start small

Of course when getting out of bed in the morning is quite enough of a challenge, then this might all seem a bit daunting! Depression works hard to empty our lives of meaning. Tackling depression should start in small steps and should focus on finding the smallest changes that can make the biggest difference first (see ‘Finding what works for you’). But knowing that there is a way to get meaning back into your life can also be a motivating goal to work towards in the long run.

BEST OF LUCK, MAKE UR LIFE MEANINGFULL.

Content of this story partly taken from other site but its not matter, my objective is to help my slef and you too.