Avail 20% discount on updated CA lectures for Dec 21 .Use Code RESULT20 !! Call : 088803-20003

ICICI

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prachi Jindal (CA-Article-Final-Student)     11 July 2013

Deduction of tds on interest on refund..??

can anyone please suggest that is govt is required to deduct TDS on the interest on income tax refund..?? if so, whetther form 26 AS will disclose the details and credit will be given..??

14 Replies

Rajesh

Rajesh (student)     11 July 2013

Hai, I don't think that govt will deduct TDS on interest for your income tax refund.

they will look, whether you have disclose  your interest income on your income tax refund to your Income tax return.

Hope i am clear.

If ,i mistake please let me know i will correct my self.

CA. Kunal Lakhotia

CA. Kunal Lakhotia (ACA)     11 July 2013

As per s194A(3)(viii), no TDS is to be deducted on interest paid under I-T Act.

1 Like
Dipjyoti Majumdar

Dipjyoti Majumdar (CA in service & CS. dipmaj@ rediffmail.com )     11 July 2013

As far as my knowledge goes there is no TDS on interest on refund from Govt. As a consequence there is no display in 26AS too.

Regards,

Ayush Tripathi

Ayush Tripathi (ca final)     12 July 2013

See what ca lunal lakhotia said.. go and see that section
CA Rohit Maurya

CA Rohit Maurya (Associate)     12 July 2013

First of all Refund is not a source of Income for the Assessee so there is no case TDS.

BEST OF LUCK.

C.Silambarasan

C.Silambarasan (Finance Executive)     12 July 2013

Hi All,

The TDS deduction is also applicable on IT refund by give but only refunds paid to non-resident assessees. In my experiance myself assisted the DCIT of international taxation chennai, to file the necessary eTDS returns online for the TDS deductions made by them on the IT refunds issued to non-residents. Hence it is applicable for non-residents and NOT for resident assessees.

Arif Ali

Arif Ali (Apt Co Advisory)     12 July 2013

No TDS will be deducted. but if interest is payable to NR by Govt then TDS will be deducted u/s 195 without any threshold limit.

Prachi Jindal

Prachi Jindal (CA-Article-Final-Student)     12 July 2013

thank u all...but the problem is the assessee is a resident assesee and the govt has deducted tds on interest on refund..what to do now..??

CA. Kunal Lakhotia

CA. Kunal Lakhotia (ACA)     12 July 2013

how did u come to knw the same?

C.A. Jignesh N. Mehta

C.A. Jignesh N. Mehta (C.A.)     13 July 2013

Originally posted by : Prachi Jindal

thank u all...but the problem is the assessee is a resident assesee and the govt has deducted tds on interest on refund..what to do now..??

you need to file return, offer interest on IT refund to tax and claim TDS against your tax liability.

This may result in a refund.

Prachi Jindal

Prachi Jindal (CA-Article-Final-Student)     13 July 2013

Originally posted by : C.A. Jignesh N. Mehta

you need to file return, offer interest on IT refund to tax and claim TDS against your tax liability.

This may result in a refund.

Thank you..will definitely follow your advice but i want to know whether the action of govt is correct..?? is there any provision in income tax act for the same..? if yes, under which section..??

C.A. Jignesh N. Mehta

C.A. Jignesh N. Mehta (C.A.)     13 July 2013

Section 194A

Sub Section 1

Sub clause viii

reads as under

to such income credited or paid by the Central Government under any provision of this Act or the Indian Income-tax Act, 1922 (11 of 1922), or the Estate Duty Act, 1953 (34 of 1953), or the Wealth-tax Act, 1957 (27 of 1957), or the Gift-tax Act, 1958 (18 of 1958), or the Super Profits Tax Act, 1963 (14 of 1963), or the Companies (Profits) Surtax Act, 1964 (7 of 1964), or the Interest-tax Act, 1974 (45 of 1974);]

As per section TDS should not be deducted on interest paid u/s 244A.

TDS will be deducted u/s 195 in case of NR.

Since your case is of resident individual, there seems to be an error by Govt

Prachi Jindal

Prachi Jindal (CA-Article-Final-Student)     29 July 2013

thank you..i got it clear now...the action of government is not correct...will follow your advice..!!

Yash Kansal

Yash Kansal   24 May 2018

He is talking about Interest on refund not Refund.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register