Convey your feelings to ICAI for your betterment

Anvesh Desai (Chartered Accountant) (156 Points)

21 July 2010  

I have sent the Following letter to President and all council members of ICAI (E mail adresses available at ICAI.org- contact us-) All student can also send their feelings to president and council members for their betterment of future. In case you need mail address write to atuldesai.in @ gmail.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir,

The recent trend of the CA final Exams results are not only very shocking but also speaks of the arbitrariness being followed in the evaluation of the papers. Having the exam standards unnecessarily tough, keeping the evaluation procedures conveniently opaque and ensuring only a token output exams after exams, a pertinent doubt being raised is whose cause are ICAI serving?

I really don't understand this concept of quality being made so loud and am rather even amused by it. The method being followed for achieving the so called “QUALITY” output is summarily wrong. Look at how IIMs and IITs achieve the same objective by conducting the toughest entrance tests with transparency. This method makes sure that students never face their career dilemma at the end of their career where SUDDENLY their QUALITY is questioned after 3- 4 years of their best efforts.

I am convinced that There is only the arbitrariness on the part of the ICAI at every point in time. My conviction has come from the facts

1)    Without planning while declaring the schedule of the NOV 2009 exams in July 2009 the options which were used to be there were removed arbitrarily just before ONE MONTH PRIOR to the exams. This was a policy decision which in a professional manner would have been taken at the time of declaring the exams itself. Is this a quality decision?

2)      Declaration of diluting on questions on AS 30-32 just 4 days in advance and then asking a 18 marks questions despite such announcement. This shows the coordination QUALITY of the paper setting and evaluation style. Who cared about the students in the process?

3)       And there are many more such events happening like the one of the NOV2009 and MAY 2010 results

The affirmation of my conviction came with the QUALITY of the results of May-2010 Final exams results. If the ICAI is serious in setting quality parameters which should be uniform across the board, the question papers will have to be only on Objective basis and papers corrected only by computers, without any possibility of human bias.

What makes me worry is, as the passing percentage of CPT and the Final years students suggest, ICAI will continue with its fantasy of improving QUALITY without adopting the  correct course and make the careers of thousands of student miserable in the end.

It is not enough to keep bragging that we have the best examination standards and procedures. If such procedures play with thousands of students' careers, it will be graceful to make the procedures better, transparent and hassle-free.

I would urge that the ICAI takes the nonsensical 'aggregate' pattern out of the system and adopt a fresh approach as being professionally done  by the premier institutes like IIMs/IITs which will not only save students ruining their careers after a lapse of their golden time of life but will PUT ICAI IN LINE WITH ONE OF THE REAL PREMIER INSTITUTE OF INDIA. Till such time these professional system is adopted ICAI must ensure that the careers of thousand of students who have spent heftily on their studies and with great aspiration in mind be given true and fair treatment in the exams as it is not their fault but the system fault adopted by ICAI.

I hope ICAI will understand the worry and will really do changes to make ICAI one among the premier Institute in real sense as is the case with IIMs/IITs of India.

With best regards

ATUL DESAI