Contribution to PPF

I have a PPF Account to which I contribute the maximum amount specified of Rs.70,000/- pa. and claim relief under Sec. 80C.  I am also a member of an HUF. Can the HUF contribute to my PPF account in the capacity as member another Rs.70,000/- and also claim 80C benefit for itself?  As per a plain reading of Sec 80 C there does not appear to be a denial of such a claim as deduction is allowed on the basis of "contiribution"and not on the basis of receipt in the PPF account of the individual.  The PPF Scheme does not appear to bar such "double"contribution to the same account, as they are in different capacities.  I would appreciate a reply, if possible with some authoritive references which I can quote to both the Banker as well as the AO, if required.  Thanks and Regards,

Venkat

Replies (4)

Dear,

To my mind the Limit of 70000/- is set for Single Account & contribution of HUF will not be allowed as deduction. However i do not have any authoritive references to confirm the same

Thanks & Regards,

Sunil Kotak

 

 

 

RBI vide its circular :

RBI/2004-05/468
Ref.No.CO.DT.15.02.001/H-9593-9615/2004-05 dt.14/05/05

has issued clarification restricting opening of a new account in the name of HUF.

Therefore for claiming deduction u/s. 80C HUF has to subscribe to the PPF A/c of its Karta or any of its coparceners

Agree with sunil sir,

Maximum deposit in a FY ina single account is Rs. 70,000/- {Rule 3 of PPF Scheme 1968}

https://www.indiapost.gov.in/POSBActs/PPFRules1968.pdf

 

HUF can take benefit on deposit of sum in the name of any member or Karta .—Circular No.405 [F No. 178/1/84-IT(A-I)], DATED 15-1-1985 as corrected by Circular : No. 418 [F. No. 178/1/84-IT(A-I)], dated 2-5-1985.

Hi Thanks for your prompt replies. Rule 3 of the Scheme specifically allow contribution in two capaciies, viz., one as an individual and another as member of HUF. It is true that no fresh PPF account can be opened in the name of HUF. As I am already a member of one I can contribute to this account from HUF funds/books. The point here is maximum deposit by an individual is Rs.70000 from his accounts and maximum deposit by an HUF is Rs.70000 from its accounts. I do belive the maximum amount could be Rs.1,40,000/- in one account unless there is a specific bar somewhere. Thanks and Regards, Venkat

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
Featured ARTICLESHIP 06 October 2026
Semi Qualified

AJAY SINGH AND CO LLP

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
SALES TELECALLER

HIRE NOVA

Lucknow

Graduate (Any)

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA / CA Inter - 2 Groups Cleared

Getmyca Consultant Pvt Ltd

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
Account Executive

Elite Taxation

New Delhi

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details