Clarification on service tax on inward remittance

Chartered Accountant

Vide Circular 180/06/2014 – ST, dated 14th Oct'14, following issues have been clarified by CBEC:

1) No service tax is payable on foreign currency remitted to India from overseas.

2) Services provided by agent or the representation service provided by an Indian entity/ bank to a foreign money transfer service operator (MTSO) in relation to money transfer falls in the category of intermediary service, therefore the same shall be subject to service tax.

3) Sub-agents all under the category of intermediary services as well.

4) Service tax would apply on the services provided by way of currency conversion by a bank /entity located in India (in the taxable territory) to the recipient of remittance in India

5) Amount charged separately, if any, by the Indian bank/entity/agent/sub-agent from the person who receives remittance in the taxable territory, for the service provided by such Indian bank/entity/agent/sub-agent, also falls in the ambit of service tax.

The aforesaid circular may be accessed from the link hereinbelow:

http://www.servicetax.gov.in/circular/st-circular14/st-circ-180-2014.htm

Total likes : 2 times

Believe!! Live your dreams!

Thanks for sharing imp info..

is paypal service charges covered under new circular?

Dear Sumit, 

Can you help me in understanding the service tax on foreign inward remittance. 

I am into animation business and I am working from India but most of my clients are from outside India, I provide animation services to them and in return they pay me in Dollars. So am I eleigible for paying the service Tax on my income from these clients ? Pls Help Thanks !

LEAVE A REPLY

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

CCI MENU